Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Keeping The Surprise

I decided early on in this pregnancy that I wouldn't find out the sex of the baby. We found out last time with Paloma, but I thought it would be exciting to have that huge surprise on the delivery day. Some people say they want to know so they can be prepared (and I thought the same way last time myself) but now I know how easy it is to send Andino to pick up baby clothes while I'm waiting to be discharged from the hospital. Pretty much everything else we need can be gender neutral, so I don't feel the need to prepare. Growing up, I always imagined that moment when the baby comes out and the Doctor says "it's a....!!" it must be so exciting and I want to experience it myself. 

Andino wanted to know. He was fine if I insisted on keeping it a surprise but he was gently encouraging me to find out. We had the Harmony test done a few weeks ago and we could have found out then but I chose not to. We had the anatomy scan done this morning and it was the last opportunity to find out before the birth, so if I could succeed in resisting today, I'd keep the big surprise. However, on the way to the ultrasound Andino kept asking "so are you going to find out? Do you think it's a boy or girl?" I told him I still hadn't decided yet.

The ultrasound felt like it took forever. Last time, the screen was angled so I could still see it while she took the measurements but this time the screen was facing so far away I couldn't peek. I just stared at the ceiling and everyone was silent. Eventually she showed us the baby's face and it was incredible. It's hands were up by the face and at one point the baby opened its mouth wide and maybe took a big drink? It feels so much more real now that I've gotten a glimpse of the little one. She asked if we wanted to know the sex and I said yes. I couldn't resist the temptation! But when she tried to see, the baby had its legs closed and wouldn't move them, so we were able to keep the surprise afterall. 

I haven't taken any bump shots yet but I am planning to make a tab at the top to keep track of the second half of the pregnancy. I know the next 20ish weeks will be the biggest change and it will be fun to track it. 
 

10 comments:

  1. Yay, so exciting! If we have a third, I want to be surprised too, I think it would be so much fun. Plus now we have tons of clothes for both genders, so why the heck not, right? Eric also refuses to be surprised and will be finding out whether I do or not. Men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I could wait that long to find out. Lol but I couldn't only imagine the feeling when you find out at birth. My mom did it and she said it was a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally have to know, but I'm anal retentive like that. The only way I wouldn't is if mother nature wouldn't let me like for you guys today! Glad you get to keep your secret!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprise is the way to go! Despite the ultrasound tech's almost slip up at my very last scan, I still had no idea and the night before my C/section I still had no idea if we would have a son or daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the Beats, I really wanted to know. After all we had been through, it just felt right. But after witnessing all the hype around gender, I can why one would wait. There's something special about that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved waiting with Izzy, but I do think that knowing that I am carrying her "baby brudder" is going to make the transition easier for her. And of course now it's too late! Can't wait to see the belly shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that babe wanted to keep it a surprise. I don't know if I would be able to wait! My sister didn't find out with any of her 4 babes and she said it was the best. It kept her excited and focused instead of scared of surgery {she had planned c-sections for all}. Can't wait to see that bump!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad the baby and you are doing well! That's so funny that you folded at the last moment and wanted to know the sex, but then baby kept the secret!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only ever knew what I was having with one of mine. It was my third and I had 2 girls and I knew my husband really wanted to know. I wasn't going to find out, but we did an elective 3D ultrasound (this was before hospitals had 3D capabilities so you had to pay at a speciality center to get one) and the tech was an old friend. I caved at the last minute and we found out. I was 30 weeks, I really could have waited! Anyway...having a surprise is really fun and awesome. And the way it should be, in my opinion. Glad everything is going so well for you!! Can't wait to see pics of bump #2!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny that the baby kept those legs crossed and was like, "nope, surprise for you after all!" So much to look forward to on the day you meet this little one. Congratulations on each new milestone!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs