Saturday, 24 October 2015

Book Recommendations

I love to read, but it's been a long while since I read a book that I absolutely loved. The last book that captivated me was Twice Born by Margaret Mazzantini. I read it at the end of my pregnancy with Paloma and although it was well written, I think part of the reason I loved it so much is because infertility was a large part of the story and I remember feeling like the writer really captured the emotions of those struggles. I'm currently reading another of Mazzantini's books and it's not all that great.

I am looking for recommendations of great books. I'm travelling soon and am hoping to have a few good books to read on the plane. What was the last great book you read?

6 comments:

  1. I just read Tibetan Peach Pie by Tom Robbins and found it fascinating and entertaining. His style of writing is wacky and I like all his books. For more serious reads, The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt was incredible although I found it depressing and would only read it if not feeling overwhelmed and Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. Hope you have a great and productive trip and pregnancy is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read both the Donna Tartt books, The Goldfinch and The Secret History. I enjoyed them. She writes great characters. Latest book I finished was Purity by Jonathon Franzen. I really liked parts of it although I'm not sure about the book as a whole. Anywsy if you are a fast reader those are big fat ones that can keep you going. I'm also thinking of rereading Romeo Dallaire's Shake Hands With the Devil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutting For Stone is very enjoyable just be warned there's a very graphic and tragic birth scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dead Wake by Eric Larson was incredible! As is pretty much anything by Eric Larson lol. Dead wake is about the sinking of the Lusitania

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the most part I like reading non-fiction. The last book I really enjoyed was called Weed 'Em and Reap by Roger Welsch, you might like it for something different. It's a bit of a memoir filled with humour, on identifying and cooking with wild plants. I think I'll read Ashley Judd's memoir next called All That is Bitter & Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read a book for enjoyment in so long. I miss it, but love the distraction and reason why I haven't had time to read :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs