Wednesday, 29 July 2015

The Green Light

The rest of our vacation at home was great.

Donairs at Pizza Corner

Jamaican food

Visit with friends and their kids

We took a late flight on the way back to the Prairies. It worked out well because Paloma slept almost the whole second leg of the flight which was easier than having to entertain her for hours in a cramped space. We got home around 11:30 p.m. We didn't have a great sleep, but the next morning we got up and hit the road to our fertility clinic. Not the best day for 6 hours of driving, but it was the only appointment they had available before I go back to work. We met with the RE for about 5 mintues. She asked me some basic questions about my pregnancy and delivery and gave me the green light to start trying right away. She gave me the requisition for bloodwork, I bought some HCG from the pharmacy, we got Mexican for lunch and drove home.

I did the blood work on Friday (8 vials!) and my period arrived on Sunday. I was surprised, but when I counted it out on the calendar it was right on time. I called the clinic on Monday to report Day 1 and they told me they had only received 2 of my labs back, but they were okay to move forward as the others usually take a week or so to arrive anyway. They told me that my thyroid levels were a little low (meaning overactive thyroid) which didn't surprise me because they've always been in the low range of normal, but I guess now they are a little outside the range at 0.6. They told me they like to see levels of 1-2 for fertility, so then I spent the afternoon stressing out about that. 

I decided to do a natural cycle this time. Clomid gave me terrible hot flashes last time and Femara is contraindicated with breastfeeding. I know I said I was weaning Paloma, and for the most part I did. But I always end up nursing her 2-3 times a day (usually to sleep at night and when she wakes at 5:30 in the morning it's the only way to get her back to sleep.) If I felt like I really needed to, I could just tough it out and not give in when Paloma wants to nurse, but I'd much rather wean her gently than abruptly. I could also tough it out and get clomid hot flashes, but the clinic was adamant that I didn't need to take any drugs as I ovulate on my own and they were encouraging me to go natural so that's what I decided to do.

I have an ultrasound Tuesday morning for follicle tracking and guess what? Tuesday is my first day back at work! I'm not even back at work yet and I'm already emailing my boss to tell her I'm going to be late. I'll also have to take a sick day to drive the 3 hours to the clinic for the IUI. I'm obviously not going to be telling everyone I'm trying for a baby (like last time, but that was different.) I feel a little guilty about trying as soon as I go back to work, but there are many reasons why I want to start trying now and it seems a little silly to put off  my family building so as not to inconvenience my work.

This is probably my last post as a Stay At Home Mom of one. Life is changing a lot these days, but I feel like I'm in a really good place. I've learned so much over the past year - about parenting and about myself. Thank you so much to everyone who has supported me with positive comments and advice. I think the first year of parenting is a huge learning experience for everyone and it can be hard at times but I never felt alone thanks to all my friends, family & blog friends who let me know they were there. 





7 comments:

  1. Lots of luck to you! I hope You are successful on your first try!! Your clinic is 3 hours away?! That is crazy far.
    I hope you will still continue to blog! Your last paragraph sounded almost like a goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice last vacation before returning to work. My vacation pics are mostly food too. Best of luck with work and TTC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the vacation was a wonderful one.

    I understand where you're coming from about work. But you are makin the best choices for you and your family with pursuing this. Work will survive, so no guilt. My fingers are crossed for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad u guys were able to take one last vacation before u return to work. Don't feel guilty for trying right after returning to work. If we had it our way we wouldn't even have to go through the hassle of seeing an RE. I'm already talking about a second child when this one isn't out yet. My hubby tells me to slow down lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with return to work and your cycle. So glad to hear you are in a good place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with this cycle! I'm sending good energy your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots happening in your world! Good luck with the cycle. I don't blame you for not putting it off just because you are going back to work. It's so much harder for us, so there is no time to waste - work be damned! That being said, I really hope it works the first time for you. I can't believe you have to drive so far to the clinic.
    Also, good luck with the transition to working mom. I'm sure you will all do great :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs