Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Jazz Festival Take 2

We spent Saturday afternoon watching Andino's band play at the Jazz festival. We went last year when Paloma was only a month old. All weekend, I thought about how stressed we were this time last year. Paloma got colicky when she turned 3 weeks old, which coincided with our basement flooding and us having to be out of the house for a couple of weeks. The first week we spent in a hotel and the second at a friend's house who was out of town. I would spend the whole day alone with Paloma (aside from short visits from friends) because Andino was working at the office all day and fixing the house all evening. I had an overabundant milk supply/overactive letdown, so whenever she would nurse, my milk would pour out like a fire hydrant, effectively drowning my tiny little 6 pound newborn, causing her to cough and choke. All I wanted was the comfort and privacy of my own home while I got the hang of motherhood, but it wasn't possible. It was such a stressful time for me. She was so full of gas from the milk problem, she would scream-cry for what seemed like hours on end. I worried about disturbing the other guests in the hotel, in addition to feeling helpless because I couldn't make her feel better. My midwife told me I just had to wait for her to get bigger so she could handle the flow of milk better. It was months before she finally stopped choking.  

On the way to the Jazz Festival last year, we were really late getting on the road. It was pouring rain, Paloma was colicky & the basement was flooding. We arrived just in time for Andino to take the stage, I don't think he had time for a warm up or anything. We were a little stressed getting on the road again this year, but overall the drive up was a million times easier and the weekend was very enjoyable. We spent the night in a hotel so we could do some sightseeing. We ate at a great restaurant with live Cajun music and took some nice walks as a family. 


relaxing by the river

walking over the river on a cool bridge

babywearing on the bridge

Andino on stage. The air is smoky from forest fires up north.

Andino's in the poncho

Paloma kicked off the dancing

Chilling, watching Dad on stage
Cristy wrote about an infertile's bucket list  and I could totally relate. Over the past year, there have been so many times where I found myself doing something and thinking "how many times did I daydream about doing this as a mother?" Going to music festivals with my kids is definitely high on my bucket list and I absolutely loved watching the show with Paloma. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a great time at the music festival! Paloma is so lucky to grow up in a family of musicians. What a change from you first few weeks as a family, indeed. The tough experiences are good in a way too however because they teach you that you can live through them and laugh another day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think about that- how much I longed to do A, B, and C in the company of my child. Even small things, like cooking eggs on Saturday mornings while my baby girl waits in her high chair. It's so awesome! In a way it's kind of cool how our experiences leading up to motherhood made it impossible for us to take it for granted. The pain of not having the child I wanted has definitely faded, but I'll never forget what it was like. And I'll never forget how blessed I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing to check off your list! So glad that this year was a wonderful one at the Jazz festival. May there be so many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys had a blast! Hope you're nowhere near those forest fires, it's all over the news here how terrible they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference a year makes!
    One of my bucket list items was Disneyland and we took the girls last month even though they are waaaay to young to appreciate it. But, I couldn't wait. I just really had to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you guys had a great time at the music festival! I love the purple hat on Paloma- she is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! So great to celebrate summer, music and family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that you were able to relax and enjoy yourself this year! The pics are great-looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs