Monday, 29 June 2015

June

It's been so hot here lately. The prairies are the land of extreme temperatures and it's hard on this Maritimer. I've lived here for 5 years (on and off... but mostly on) and I just can't get used to it. Obviously the frigid winters are tough, but the summers aren't easy either. I just don't love the heat like I used to. I once spent 2 weeks in Cuba in the middle of August and enjoyed the sweltering weather. I won't go so far as to say I loved the heat in Mozambique... especially not when I was suffering from heat rash for months on end, but I didn't hate it. Now I can't stand the heat in July in Canada. Does this mean I'm getting old? 

I avoid the midday sun, so I go outside with Paloma every morning for an hour or so, and again in the early evening. I bought her a sandbox and baby pool the other day. She loves the sandbox. The baby pool not so much, but the dogs love it! Her favourite activity these days is to paint the cement with water. It entertains her long enough for me to sit and read the news and drink my tea in relative peace, which is how I like to start the day.





The beginning of June was tough, because I was bringing Paloma to daycare. I wanted her to have lots of time to slowly adjust so it wouldn't be a drastic transition. The first few times I stayed with her, then I started leaving her for an hour. She was doing great and her teachers were impressed. Then, she got her one year vaccination and everything took a turn for the worse. She just wasn't herself. She was waking all through the night, so she was tired all day. She wanted to spend the entire day in my arms and would break down as soon as I was out of sight. She didn't even feel okay when I left her with her Dad when I took a quick trip to the grocery store. I felt terrible. I wasn't sure if she was feeling under the weather from the vaccinations, if she had separation anxiety again or if she was getting traumatized from being left at daycare. I continued to drop her off for a few hours, a few days a week but she just scream-cried on and off the whole time. She refused to eat or sleep there and was just miserable. When we came to pick her up she'd be huffing and puffing when she breathed from all the crying. I was stressed.

Then, we decided to book a week vacation to go home in July. When I told the daycare that Paloma would be taking a week off, I got a call the next day from the Director. She told me that she's seen a lot of kids be off their game for a few weeks after their one year vaccinations and that I shouldn't feel like I need to keep bringing her because we will basically be starting from the beginning again after our vacation since she will have gotten used to spending all day everyday with us. She said some kids take a few weeks to adjust to daycare and some take a few months, but they all get there. I felt better and decided to stop taking her.

She is back to sleeping through the night and is okay with being without me again. Now she has a really stuffed up nose and is teething, but for the most part she is feeling like herself again. After our vacation, she will only have about a week to transition into daycare full time. I know it's going to be really tough, but we have no other choice. I need to go back to work so I can be eligible for maternity leave again when we start trying for another baby. 

I have a few other things I want to write about. Hopefully it doesn't take me 3 weeks to find the time again! 


9 comments:

  1. Oh poor Paloma! I'm sorry the 1 year vaccinations were so tough on her.

    Izzy has been going to daycare since she was 3 months old and after we got back from Barcelona (10 day trip) she cried the first few days during drop-off because she was so used to being with us! Don't stress on your vacation about Paloma transitioning to daycare- she can do it! It might be a rough first couple of days but she will get on a schedule and enjoy herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hat sandbox pic had me lmao...that's a lot of sand in the nether regions, ha ha!!! Hazy loves the pool and the water...I think she'd enjoy the sandbox, I'll have to try it. I love the idea of painting the cement, brilliant! I also used to worship the sun and the heat...I think if I didn't have an 11 month old that I was constantly holding/wearing/nursing/hauling around I still would. She just makes me extra hot and sticky and uncomfortable! Sorry day care has been so hard, I'm sure Hazy would be an absolute mess too if I had to leave her at day care :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with notpregnantandpissed...my first thought on that sandbox picture was "wow, there's gonna be a lot of sand in that diaper!" We're taking Q for his first beach vacation next month and I'm already anticipating diapers/fistfuls/mouthfuls of sand. :) Sorry to hear that the daycare thing has been a challenge, but the provider is right and she will certainly eventually love it. My niece was a lot like this when transitioning and eventually my sis was hurt because she would just run off without so much as a goodbye, she loved it so much! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting your experience so far with daycare. This is a lot on my mind lately! It does sound like the vaccinations affected Paloma and made adjusting harder. (I will have to check our schedule as I thought that the next shots weren't till 18 months). The fact Paloma liked daycare at first makes me think that eventually she will come around again. The director has obviously seen this a lot so it's nice that she took the time to share her thoughts with you. It's lovely that you can take vacation together although it will mean more adjusting. Good luck and love reading your updates when you can post them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and love the photos of summer fun! I'm with you about the heat - around +20 is my ideal temperature and anything over that is really too hot, unless I'm at the beach! When I lived in Greece I got used to the heat and for while was quite tolerant but nearly 10 years on I'm back to not liking it much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paloma is so beautiful! At least you got to spend a lot of time with her before putting her in daycare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on no longer dealing well with the summer heat. I grew up in the Arizona desert and usually run cold, but something about this first summer post baby makes the heat scorching hot. Sorry everything got tough after the 1 year vaccinations, but how nice that the director called with calming advice and that things are getting back to normal. Hope you have a lovely vacation without too much stress about daycare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to spend all day every day laying in the sun on the beach as a teenager. I couldn't get enough. Now, the older I get, the less I like being in the sun and heat. I just can't handle it anymore.

    My girls have been going to daycare one day a week for the past year and they have adjusted well. Next week they start going full time to a new daycare and I am worried about the transition. They loved the place when we went to check it out and ran around and played (and riley was even sitting in one of the teacher's laps) but that's much different than leaving them all day. It's going to be tough because SH has been the one to take them to daycare so far, but now I will be the one dropping them off every morning. I think it's going to be harder for me actually having to leave them myself. But, I know it will be good for them to socialize with other kids and have a little more learning and structure than they have been getting at home. Enjoy your last weeks of maternity leave :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs