Tuesday, 2 June 2015

First Birthday

We celebrated Paloma's first birthday 3 times over the week/weekend and I have finally accepted that she is not a little baby any more. When she started taking a few steps at around 10 months, my Dad called her a toddler. I denied it wholeheartedly, even when he said "but that is the definition of a toddler! A baby toddling around!" No Dad. She's still my little baby. But when she turned 1 and was practically running around at her party, there was no denying that Paloma is no longer a helpless little squishy ball of baby bliss. She's a happy, confident and strong little toddler. Her birthday was on Wednesday and we started the day by meeting friends for a picnic brunch in the park. Paloma's friend B was born on the same day as her and we get together quite regularly, so we thought we'd celebrate their birthday together.

Chasing the Canada Geese

What a girl

Andino took the afternoon off work and picked us up from the park. We all went for a swim after lunch because Paloma absolutely loves swimming. She had her afternoon nap and then she opened her present from us. Andino said we should just put it together after she went to sleep for the night but I didn't agree and spent the next hour or so putting it together while she climbed all over me and the pieces. I was determined to let her use it on her birthday. 

Her Birthday Present from us

Her birthday party was planned for Saturday at the park. I'd already purchased all the decorations and I thought I'd spend Thursday grocery shopping and Friday preparing as much food as possible ahead of time, so Saturday wouldn't be scrambled. We didn't have a backup plan for bad weather and by Thursday the forecast was calling for cold, wet & windy weather on Saturday. We decided to cancel her birthday party. We tried to change the venue to an indoor location, but we couldn't find anywhere that could accommodate the 40+ people I invited. (Maybe it was a little much for her first birthday, but it was also a celebration of our first year as parents.) So I spent the morning making a dozen phone calls, unsuccessfully trying to find an indoor venue and the afternoon contacting everyone to tell them the party was cancelled due to weather. Then I felt terrible. I had been planning the party for months and I really wanted my girl to have a special day. We were still planning to have a get together with Andino's family at our place, but I wanted all her little baby friends that we've spent the year hanging out with to celebrate with her too. So we contacted everyone again to tell them the party was on, but would be split in two. Parents and kids (basically my friends) on Saturday and Andino's family and friends on Sunday. One of my best girlfriends helped out majorly by making some AMAZING tissue paper flowers and photographing the party. We live in a 780 square foot house and it often feels cramped with just the three of us and 2 dogs (granted we have a mastiff) and on Saturday there were 12 babies/kids and 18 adults.

My family

Her friends (aka my friend's kids) missing a few!

Opening presents
We were up late Friday night getting the food ready for the party, because I did the shopping and baking/cooking on the same day. Andino helped a lot. He took Paloma swimming while I made the cakes and then once she was in bed, he set up the decorations and helped make sandwiches. 

The theme of the party was "You Are My Sunshine" On the menu: 

Sandwiches/Wraps: Curry Chicken Salad SandwichesTex-Mex Pinwheels, Ham and Turkey
Snack: Kettle Corn & Fruit Kabobs

Birthday Cakes: A healthy Maple Apple cake for the babies (with cream cheese frosting dyed yellow with a pinch of tumeric!) and for the Adults, a basic yellow cake




For her Sunday party, I made pancakes. (I make good pancakes) and served with a raspberry sauce, sauteed bananas and sauteed apples. And maple syrup of course. Oh and bacon. (I don't eat bacon but tried to please the family) We ran out of cupcakes from her Saturday party, so after everyone left I made a fresh cake for the Sunday party from the same recipe. We ended up throwing more than half in the garbage, but I'm still glad we had cake to offer people. 

The weekend was amazing, but so exhausting. 




8 comments:

  1. What an amazing year it has been! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday Paloma! well worth celebrating. I'm so impressed by all the work you put into it, including the last minute changes of plans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though it wasn't the birthday party you planned, it looks like it came out absolutely lovely. I love your theme and your food sounds amazing! Want to come cook for Molly's party?? Haha.

    There's a part of me that can't wait until Molly starts walking (because she's getting heavy, and because she scoots around and picks up a lot of dog hair) and there's a part of me that dreads it because that means she's officially a "big girl." It's so bittersweet!

    Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to little Paloma! That's such a genius idea to dye the frosting with turmeric, I would never have thought of that. Sounds like you had a fun weekend with friends and family, which is all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It came together lovely!! Well done Mama!!! And look at your girl. She's absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on this milestone. Wishing you all many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how fast a year will go, and a baby will grow! She's gorgeous!

    I'm exhausted just reading that. I'm glad that the parties turned out well in the end.

    (You Are My sunshine from is one of my favorite songs from Johnny Cash's unearthed album. Such a bittersweet song.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing how fast a year will go, and a baby will grow! She's gorgeous!

    I'm exhausted just reading that. I'm glad that the parties turned out well in the end.

    (You Are My sunshine from is one of my favorite songs from Johnny Cash's unearthed album. Such a bittersweet song.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids are almost 2 and I am still in denial that they aren't babies anymore.

    So glad you were able to come up with a backup party plan. Looks like it was fun (and delicious!).

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs