Monday, 30 March 2015

The Big 3-0


I turn 30 on April 1st. I thought I'd feel sad about leaving my 20s behind, but I'm not at all. Bring them on!

The first 5 years of my 20s I was in University. I learned and grew so much. Of course, in the beginning I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life career-wise (and otherwise). I decided to double major in Human Geography when I finished my Psychology degree and realized that a B.A. in Psych didn't do much for my career prospects. It was when I started studying Geography that I really started to mature and become more like the person I am today. It's when I started to become passionate about International Development and started to form my own opinion about the goings on in the world. Studying Human Geography really expanded my world view and I'm surprised at how often I think back on those classes.

I met Andino when I was 23 and got married when I was 24. So I did a lot of growing and maturing during the first few years of our marriage. I am in constant pursuit of personal growth and becoming a better person. Of course, I have grown more in some areas than others, but I am proud to say I can look back and see I've come a long way in terms of my maturity, patience and confidence, although I still have a lot of work to do on my habit of stressing unnecessarily and caring about what other people think, among other things. .

The last few years of my 20s were spent trying to become a Mom, being pregnant and then learning how to be a Mom. 30 is a big milestone for me because that was the date I had set in my mind to give up on trying. If I didn't have a child or one on the way through adoption or pregnancy by the time I turned 30, I was going to throw in the towel. I had started trying when I was 25 and I knew I couldn't keep on fighting past the 5 year mark. Of course it goes without saying that I am overjoyed to be celebrating my birthday with my little sweetie-pie, Paloma.

I don't think I'm exaggerating much to say that I live for new beginnings. I just love the feeling of a fresh start. The excitement and anticipation of stepping into the unknown. The feeling that anything is possible and not knowing what comes next. Some of my favourite new beginnings are: the feeling in my stomach when the plane touches down in a place I've never been before. The clean, white pages of a new notebook before it's been written in, moving to a new place, starting a new book when the first few pages are amazing and I know it's going to be a good story, making a new friend who I really hit it off with... So another reason I'm excited to turn 30 is because it feels like a new beginning and a blank slate.

I made a 30 before 30 list, but I wasn't able to accomplish everything on my list. I'm going to continue working on it throughout the year. I am really looking forward to what the new year will bring. I know there will be challenges - the biggest of which will probably be when I leave Paloma in daycare to start back at work August 1st, followed closely by when I leave her home while I go to Honduras with my non-profit, Mamas 4 Mamas. I also know there will be some exciting things happening like buying a new home and my trip to Honduras with my Mom in the Fall. The other big plan for my 30th year is to try for baby #2... hopefully a much less stressful process than bringing Paloma into the world was!

I have a habit of making resolutions for new beginnings. The usual stuff - eat healthy, exercise, study French, meal planning etc. and while I definitely still want to do all those things, the only resolution I am going to focus on is positive thinking and not worrying about the future. I hope one day, I am able to fully live in the moment without worrying about hypothetical future situations. This resolution may be the hardest to accomplish of all!

11 comments:

  1. Wishing you a wonderful and joyous 30th birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday! I think your goals sound wonderful. The 30s are a great decade, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Sounds like u have great plans for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I loved my 30's and hope it brings you many great memories and experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved turning 30. It felt like I spent so much time figuring my life out during my 20s (education, got into and ended first major relationship, started and ultimately decided to leave first career) so when I hit my 30s I really felt like I'd finally gotten it all together. Well, as much as one can, anyway. Have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to think that aging and looking older was a curse, now I realize it's a blessing. A large number on paper is in reality a blessing. A sign that you've lived long, and had chance the to experience and learn so much.

    I've often been thinking how amazing it is that we have developed into conscious beings in the first place. What a small chance that each one of us; complex individuals actually live on this earth, in this massive expanding universe is incredible luck. Each one of our years should be celebrated!

    Happy 30th Birthday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!! You have me chuckling at the thought of throwing in the towel at 30 if you didn't already have a baby...I wanted a baby by 28 and didnt get one until I was 33! I'm so happy you have sweet Paloma and there's plenty of time to finish your 31 by 31list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday!!!!!! I love new beginnings. I'm not sure how that's possible, because it's such a contradiction that I also hate change. I've always admired your positive attitude and flare for living life to it's fullest. Sounds like you have a lot of amazing things coming up that will kick off your 30's fantastically!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you were able to become a mother before having to make the difficult decision to stop trying. Now 30 is just a new beginning to new adventures. Personally, I hated turning 30. Actually, I hated the lead up to my birthday and was stressing about whether I had done enough in my life so far (and thinking how useless my BA is Psych truly was). Then the day I turned 30 I was over it. Now I look back and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't choose to go back to my 20's. Happy birthday again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! Turning 30 wasn't a big deal for me and so far my 30s have been great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday friend!!! I hope it was awesome! My 30's (although almost over) have been wonderful! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs