Friday, 26 December 2014

Our First Christmas

Christmas with my own little family has been one of my biggest dreams for a long time. I grew up with 2 brothers and the holidays were always loud and exciting in our home, with toys and wrapping paper strewn everywhere. When I wasn't sure if I would ever become a mother, the thought that made me the most sad was that I would miss out on seeing the joy on my children's faces (in my daydreams I have 3 kids) on Christmas morning. I know Paloma is too young to understand what's going on, but it was still amazing to start our family traditions and to see her playing with her new toys. 

Over the past few weeks, we have been having a rough patch with Paloma sleeping. First she was waking numerous times a night because she was sick. Shortly after she got better, she had trouble sleeping because she was learning to crawl. She would wake at night and I would go into her room and find her on all fours in her crib trying to crawl. Then, we had visitors over in the evening a few nights over the past few weeks and we also visited other people so her schedule got all out of whack and she ended up being awake for way longer than she should for one reason or another. The overtiredness came to a head on Christmas morning (the past 2 days she had really been off schedule) and she was not her usual happy self. She was fussy and unsettled all morning until her afternoon nap, when Andino laid down with her for 2 hours so she could get caught up on her sleep. When she woke up, she was rested and back to her happy self.





On Christmas morning I made waffles for breakfast. Then, we opened our gifts and Andino spent the rest of the morning setting up her little activity garden we gave her for Christmas.  We are big believers in not over-consuming, so we are doing the something to wear, something to read, something you want and something you need guide to Christmas gifts. Paloma didn't really need anything (what does a baby really need other than clothes and diapers?) so we gave her 2 wants. A talking puppy dog and the activity centre. We had turkey sandwiches with stuffing and cranberry sauce for lunch, but then a stomach bug I had been battling all day really caught up with me so we didn't really have supper.

I took a ton of photos. There were too many great ones to choose just a few, so here are a bunch of my favourites:

Something to read: Green Eggs and Ham

Christmas morning

unwrapping

A talking puppy!

Baby in a box!

Helping Dad with the instructions

Playing

These are my Christmas presents!
I hope everyone had a great Christmas and is enjoying the holiday season as much as we are!


6 comments:

  1. I love that something to wear, read, want & need! I may have to steal that!! Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the baby in a box! I'll bet that was her favourite present too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a nice Christmas with your family! Beautiful pics of Paloma-- even the crying ones!! I believe in keeping things small for Christmas (I think it's more exciting to get a few new things to focus on vs. a million toys), so we got E four presents, including a book. She loved the little music set I got her, but by FAR her favorite thing about presents is tearing the wrapping paper into teeny tiny bits.
    Happy Holidays to you & your family!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what sleep does for all of us, grown ups and babies alike! Sounds like a perfect day, other than battling a stomach bug. Ayden and Rylee have that same talking puppy and it is absolutely one of their favorites! Love seeing all your (or selected few) pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hazy was sooo fussy on xmas eve and xmas morning! It made for some serious juggling when we were opening her presents, lol. I had to cut myself off from buying more presents and then when I wrapped them all it looked so meager because everything was so tiny! Glad you had a wonderful day despite the stomach bug, yuck!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs