Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Baby's First Cold

It's been a stressful week or so for our family! Andino came down with a bad cold. He had been fighting it for a while, but finally decided to go to the walk-in clinic on Monday morning where he was given antibiotics as it turns out he has bronchitis. I had the same cold, feeling tired, headache congested and achy but luckily enough for me, I was able to fight it off without having to take anything for it. I have only taken antibiotics once or twice in my lifetime and I'm hoping to keep it that way for a long time! I was really hoping Paloma would escape it, but unfortunately she has gotten a cold for the first time.

On Saturday night, she woke up at 12:30 in the morning and when I went to her room, my head was pounding. I was hoping she would fall back asleep quickly. I nursed her back to sleep and as soon as she nodded off, I transferred her to the crib. Usually I hold her for a few minutes so she's really out when I lay her down, but I was dying to get back to my bed, so I rushed it and laid her down as soon as she fell asleep. Of course she woke up right away. The same thing happened for a second time and I started to get really cranky and anxious to get back to my bed because I was feeling so sick. I laid her in the crib wide awake and turned on her tranquil turtle, hoping that she'd fall asleep by herself (yeah right!) and then picked her up again. This went on for 2 hours! That is the longest I've ever been up with her in the middle of the night - even when she was a newborn! And of course it happened on the night I was feeling the worst. I don't know if she couldn't fall back asleep because I was rushing her back to her crib or if she was already feeling sick, but it was a long night.

THEN, on Monday night, she really started to get sick. She was up EVERY TWO HOURS. Even when she was a newborn, she would sleep in 3-4 hour stretches at a time at night. I finally brought her into our bed at 4 am but I have such a hard time sleeping when she's in our bed that I hardly slept at all after that. She was up for the day at 5:30 am. Needless to say, I was like a zombie on Tuesday and didn't get much done around the house at all. That night I went to bed at 8:30 because Paloma was still so stuffed up I figured I had another long night ahead of me, but go figure - she slept right through until 7:15 am! It was the first night that I let her sleep on her tummy too. For the last few weeks she's been rolling over and waking herself up by getting smooshed into the side of the crib, so I figured she was more comfortable sleeping on her stomach and I was willing to give it a try if it meant avoiding a repeat performance of the previous night.

She still only naps for half an hour at a time. She's able to be awake for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours before needing her next nap but she's happy and alert when she's awake, so that's all that matters to me. She goes to bed between 6:30 & 7:30 (depending on when her last nap of the day is) and usually sleeps 11-12 hours straight through and sometimes wakes up to nurse once or twice but goes back down without a problem, so I really shouldn't complain about a few sleepless nights here and there.

On Saturday, I have a fundraising event that I organized for my non-profit, Mamas 4 Mamas. I was originally planning to just bring her with me and have her in my wrap, but with her sick, I'm not thinking it's such a good idea. Even if she's feeling better by then, she can get fussy when it's getting close to her  bedtime, especially in loud, crowded places with lots of people trying to touch her and talk to her. So I decided the best thing to do would be to leave her with my friend for a few hours while I get my event going, then duck out and go pick her up so I can put her to bed (late) while my amazing husband Andino finishes hosting the event. I'm totally stressed out about leaving her. This while pretty much be the first time we've been apart since she's been born. I left her with my Mom when she was 6 weeks old to get my hair done and I left her with my Dad and Andino to get a massage while I was in Mexico (and she scream-cried when they tried to put her to sleep.) She has started showing signs of separation anxiety, even though she has seen my friend and her baby almost every week or every second week since she's been born, so it's not like they are strangers or anything. I worry that she's going to scream and cry for me the whole time I'm gone, which would obviously be really hard on my friend, not to mention on Paloma. This will be the first time I leave her with anyone so I know it's normal to be worried. Plus, it's only for a few hours and I'm going to try to make it so that she naps right before I drop her off so she's not tired on top of missing me.

Anyone have any tips on leaving baby for the first time?

5 comments:

  1. I don't really have any tips on leaving her. We are in the same situation and will be leaving the girls with my sister to watch on Friday night while we attend a company gathering. I hope I can do it.

    Poor sick little girl, I hope she feels better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, poor baby!

    I have no tips. The first time I left Molly for a couple hours was when she was 2 weeks old and I went grocery shopping. She was only a couple of miles away at my mother in law's house and I was in a total panic the whole time. The first time I left her alone for a significant chunk of time was when I went back to work... many tears were shed that day. At first it will feel unnatural and scary, but the more you do it, the more you'll get used to not being with her. Plus, I think it gets easier as they get older and more independent. And may I admit? Some days it's nice to have some baby-free time to myself. It just makes every moment I do spend with her so much more special.

    You'll be great! And she'll be OK. She'll probably cry at first but eventually will calm down. I think you should tell your friend NOT to text or call you if she's being fussy (unless it's very bad, or an emergency or something). That will just ruin your event and you'll be stressing out about it the whole time. When my mom watched Molly so Eric and I could go on a date night, she cried and screamed for an hour but my mom didn't tell me until after (actually, she called my sister to see what Molly might like!). They took her for a ride in the car and that helped calm her down, then she was fine. I really appreciate that my mom didn't tell me while it was happening, because that allowed me to enjoy my date. And of course Molly was fine! Just pack some things of comfort for her.

    Sorry for the really long comment! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor Paloma. Izzy got her first cold around 3 months old and I felt awful!

    As far as leaving her, she will be fine. Early on I left Izzy with my husband or my parents. She may cry at first, but the separation will be GOOD for both of you. Enjoy your event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parents at my office just LOVE telling me how sick I'm going to get once we have a baby bringing home germs from day care. I think that's sadistic of them. Hope you're all feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No tips for leaving little one. We're leaving Kyle with my inlaws this afternoon for an hour or two while we grab sushi. I'm already a wreck. Hope you all stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs