Monday, 24 November 2014

Paloma's First Solids

So after all that talk about how I wasn't going to give her solids before 6 months, I broke down and let her eat some food early. Over the weekend, I made a bunch of different pureed baby food for her which I froze in ice cube trays and then transferred into freezer bags. On Saturday, I was just putting some peas in the freezer, when it crossed my mind that Paloma will turn 6 months old on Thursday and I wanted to give her solids for the first time on a weekend so Andino and I could video it and take pictures and Andino wouldn't be rushed to get back to work. I quickly made the decision to let her eat some peas then and there (before I had a chance to change my mind.) I was so emotional about it I even choked up - I don't know why I'm making such a big deal about this! She ate the whole serving of peas and of course we got some cute video and pictures. We haven't brought her high chair in from the garage. We have a tiny kitchen and at this point she's eating such little portions, Andino just holds her on his knee while he feeds her. On Sunday, she ate some butternut squash which she definitely didn't like as much as the peas. The second time around, I was much less emotional about it and I was able to focus on the bright side of being able to cook for her and help her learn to enjoy healthy food.

So much of what I daydreamed about while going through infertility surrounded food. I know that sounds funny, but I imagined making family traditions of big Sunday dinners and special holiday breakfasts. Every time I'd make a dessert, Andino or I would have to bring half of it to work to share with colleagues or else we'd end up throwing it in the garbage because we couldn't polish off a whole batch of cinnamon rolls or cupcakes by ourselves. I imagined how it would be in the future when I had kids to bake for. So starting solids doesn't just symbolize a step away from me, it also marks a step towards creating new family memories.




10 comments:

  1. Good for you! so cool that Paloma already has preferences. I think it's natural to be emotional about making those milestones. There's a line from a song that goes "Time started moving on the day we met!" I feel like that says so much about parenthood; it's all about change! even when it's good change it's kind of sad. Yesterday a woman with an older baby stopped to admire AJ and she said "I can't even remember when mine was so little!" I like how you re-framed the introduction of solids around making new family memories. It is true food is an essential part of so much social life and bonding. Really enjoy reading about all your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a face!! Those photos are treasures.

    There's such an intimate connection with feeding our children. Food is an intimate way of showing love. Hence why I believe you've been emotional. There is something primal about breastfeeding. Hence why people get so bent out of shape about this topic. What you may be experiencing is some blowback from feeding your daughter differently. I know I was very emotional when I stopped pumping and te Beats weaned themselves. But, I think your outlook is good and very important. You are still feeding your daughter and the cool thing about solids is now your husband can share in this intimacy. After all, look at those shots! Wishing you all the best with this transition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny faces! Unlike you, M and I don't throw out those extra cupcakes or cinnamon rolls, we eat them and then berate ourselves. :) It will be good to have another mouth around to share in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She didn't like butternut squash? Wow! I prefer it over peas.lol! She's definitely going to be a vegetable eater. Get faces are Kodak moment. I'm sure she will love when you bake for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Glad it all went well! Amelia's favorites are sweet potatoes and avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haaaa those faces are too much!!! Love it! I can't decide whether I'm looking forward to or dreading Millie starting solids. :) I guess it's still a few months away, but it seems kind of sad. But also fun! I don't blame you a bit for getting emotional about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priceless! Starting solids is a really frustrating yet hilarious process. the faces they make! Now when my girls don't like something they will pull it out of their mouth and throw it on the floor. sigh. Or gag dramatically (even though they aren't actually choking).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww! I'm so glad it went well. It is a little sad, but as you said, now you will make so many family memories together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Starting solids is so funny because of their faces! I read somewhere that every time a baby eats something new they automatically make the funny face and that it's important for the parent to make smiley, happy faces instead of mimicking what the baby did. Izzy still makes the face even six months into eating solids- just not as often.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs