Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Mamas 4 Mamas

This time four years ago, I was packing my bags for Mozambique. I realized while I was walking my dogs today that it was September 2010 that I was shopping at Mountain Equipment Co-Op with my Dad for outback camping gear to bring with me. I had no idea what I would need while living in in a Mozambican village for 6 months, but we surprisingly did a good job picking things out. Most useful were the water purification tablets, headlamp, wind up flashlight and lightweight dishes. With this anniversary, I thought that now would be a good time to announce that I have started my own non-profit called Mamas 4 Mamas.

But first, the back story:

4 years ago I received the phone call telling me that I had been selected to participate in a Canadian International Development Agency Youth Internship in a small village named Caia. My role was a Family Assistance Program Coordinator and I worked to set up programs for the community to promote family self sufficiency. It was such an amazing experience and I learned so much. It was a dream come true to work in international development and it sparked a life-long passion. While in Mozambique, working with so many Mamas and children sparked another dream inside me and that was the dream to become a Mama myself. Not long after returning home, Andino and I officially started trying to conceive. As you all know, that road was a lot longer than anticipated and it put my dreams of working internationally on the back burner.

Now that my baby is here, I have the time (and mental energy) to invest in international development again. I am not willing to work abroad any more though, because I don't want to leave my family for extended periods of time. In other words, I want to work in international development but I only have a couple of weeks a year that I am willing to actually spend abroad. Finding work in international development that only requires you to be away for a couple of weeks a year is basically impossible. I spent hours and hours over the past few months researching opportunities and I couldn't find any that felt like a good fit for me, so I created my own opportunity and I am really excited about it.

So the organization is called Mamas 4 Mamas and the mission is to raise funds to support maternal & infant health projects in developing countries. This year, we are raising funds to support a small project in Honduras called Dar a Luz. I'll be fundraising over the next year and travelling in the Fall of 2015 to Honduras to use the money we've raised to purchase supplies. I have always been interested in working with the really grassroots organizations because I love being on the front lines and I feel like the smaller organizations could benefit the most from financial assistance. I feel so lucky to have received quality health care over the past few years while undergoing fertility treatment  & testing as well as during my pregnancy, labour, delivery & post-partum. I've always been painfully aware that many women around the world do not have access to quality health care when they need it most, which is why I chose to focus on supporting maternal health projects.

I won't be posting here any more about Mamas 4 Mamas, because I want to keep these spaces separate, but I would be incredibly grateful to any of my readers who are able to donate to this worthy cause and/or share my page to spread the word.

The Details:

The website is www.mamas4mamas.ca

I created a new blog so that people who are interested can follow along: www.mamasformamas.blogspot.ca 

Twitter:
twitter.com/mamas4mamas

Facebook
www.facebook.com/mamas4mamas


Thank you from the bottom of my heart to anyone who is able to help out!

8 comments:

  1. So awesome!! I am going to go check out the webpage to find out more- so glad you've found a way to use your passion and skills in such a positive way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a worthy cause...I love that you're still passionate about this stuff even though you're a super busy mom now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's amazing. What an accomplishment. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! I am in awe of your passion to do this and also impressed you are getting this off the ground with an infant in tow. Good job, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I'm so impressed - new baby, new mama, and a new non-profit too. And it really does put things in perspective to realize what other mothers in the world have to live without.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine how scary it would feel to go into labour as a first time Mom in a country where there is a real risk of dying... Just Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness...this couldn't be cooler. Have you read Half The Sky? I'm sure you have. It really created a spark in me for this same population. Good for you for turning it into something real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is SO exciting! I am so happy for you! I'll definitely check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs