Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Updates at 7 weeks

We've had our hands full with our little Palomita. This girl is only 7 weeks old and she's full of personality already! My Mom was here visiting & helping out this past week and it was so great having her here. Not only because she cooked and cleaned for us but also to have an extra set of hands. I wouldn't describe Paloma as a fussy baby by any means but I would definitely say she's high maintenance. When she's awake (which is increasingly more often now) she wants constant stimulation. She wants to be bounced around, played with, sung to, read to... anything to engage her. And don't try to put her down before she's ready because she'll let you know! She just loves to be in one of her five baby carriers while I do house work and/or go for walks, so she can see what her Mom is doing.

Don't stop bouncing me Mom!


Meeting Nanny at the airport


The girls
Nanny doing her thing in my kitchen!
Yes. I said five baby carriers. I am so addicted. Andino made me promise to stop buying them. I have two ring slings, two wraps and a mei tai. I use the wraps 90% of the time and I still haven't used a stroller yet. Why would I when baby wearing is not only what I dreamed of doing the 4 years we tried to grow our family, but it's also the most convenient thing ever when you are the Mom of a little piggy like Paloma who nurses all day long? You can see in this picture that she's at boob level because we were out hiking when she got hungry, so I just dropped her down and nursed her while we were walking. 

Getting some fresh air
We had our final appointment with my midwife last week. I was sad because I really like her and I looked forward to seeing her regularly. Plus, she was very helpful and informative during those first few weeks when I was learning how to be a Mom and I wish I could continue to see her so I could ask her questions as Paloma grows up and we encounter new challenges. I am so happy we decided to go with a midwife instead of an OBGYN and if I ever get pregnant again I would definitely go back to her. At our last appointment I gave her a thank you card, flowers and chocolates to show her how much I appreciated her care over the last 6 months or so.

Here we are when Paloma was only 3 days old!
Paloma lost almost all her hair on the top of her head and none on the sides, just like a balding old man! I think it's starting to grow back now, but it's going to be a while until she has a full head of hair. The whole time I was pregnant I was hoping she'd be born with lots of hair but now I like that she's a baldy because she will look like a baby for longer. She's already put on 5 pounds and is growing so fast & I want her to keep her baby-ness for as long as possible. Some of her 0-3 month clothes are already getting tight on my little piggy and there's no way on God's green earth that she will ever wear all the dresses she was given at the baby shower. We got dressed up the day my Mom arrived and took a few pics:




I have a few more topics in mind that I want to write about, but she just woke up so I guess that's it for now! I hope to write again soon :)


8 comments:

  1. So cute! I love all the pics! Aren't Nana's/Nannys just the best?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so adorable in her little dress! I thought of you last night while watching TV. Did you know that Picasso named his daughter Paloma? I know it's just a nickname for you, but now you have something in common with a famous artist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and baby Paloma look so lovable! so glad that you are enjoying new motherhood. Question about baby wearing: did you take special precautions with the newborn to support head/neck? I've been reading a bit about babywearing/strollers and the one thing that I keep wondering about is how head/neck is supported in very young babies in slings because the stroller literature says that newborns should be always on their backs to be able to breathe properly. From your top photo though it looks like Paloma is already holding her head up. Anyway, I found it funny that you commented that you haven't used a stroller yet. As I was reading about them and wondering what style might suit us I kept thinking that strollers in general sound like a big pain in the butt, although I suppose there are circumstances where they would be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read any literature about strollers vs. babywearing because I never considered strollers as an option. That being said, I'm sure there are valid concerns to head/neck control with baby wearing. I started wearing Paloma when she was 3 days old. I just put her in the basic x carry (http://wrapsodybaby.com/babywearing-resources/wrapping-instructions/beginner-wrapping/#x) at a bit of an angle and used the fabric to support her head and neck. It's hard to explain but you'll see what I mean when you do it.

      Delete
  4. She's so adorable! Motherhood fits you like a glove!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these pictures! She's so sweet. I didn't use a stroller until E was 4 months old. Even now, I bring the K'tan on stroller walks because she wants to get out of the stroller about half-way through. The girl is getting heavy! ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs