Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Post-Baby Bod

I knew my body was going to look different after the baby. I didn't expect to fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans right away and I knew it was going to take time to feel good about my body shape again. So despite being mentally prepared for how my body may look, I wasn't expecting how difficult it would be to dress my lactating, in-between stage body. I'm 6lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight but I'm sure a few of those pounds are in my boobs (and a couple are left over from IVF-related weight gain.) I feel good about how fast the body fat came off, but my hips are a lot wider than before and my core definitely needs to be tightened up. I wear leggings pretty much everyday and I was never much of a leggings girl before. Leggings and a flowy top is pretty much my uniform right now... which actually works pretty well for this Gypsy Mama when I add some funky jewellery.

And then there is the bra issue. Before pregnancy, I would get home from work and throw on some comfy, casual clothes. The first thing I would do when I walked in the door was take off my bra. I hate wearing bras and once the bra came off there was no putting it back on (unless we had visitors that I felt the need to cover up for). Now, I have to wear a bra all day because I need to wear breast pads which means any tops I wear need to cover my bra straps. No halter tops or strapless tops for me... because the only thing less sexy than a visible bra strap (and an ugly, maternity bra strap at that!) is leaking boobs. I don't know what's worse, dripping milk on my husband in bed or going to bed while wearing my ugly maternity bras... Neither one is sexy that's for sure... but I suppose after all he's seen over the past few years of IVF, pregnancy & childbirth, what's a little breastmilk?

When Mom was here, I went to get my hair cut. It was hard to leave the baby, but I knew I would be happy once I got there. (I was. The head massage I received while having my hair washed was reason enough alone!) I don't even want to talk about how long it's been since I had my hair cut at a proper salon. I still do things for myself like paint my nails and put makeup on. Now that I am not working, I don't get up in the mornings and get ready right away, but I still like to do myself up a bit because it makes me feel good about myself, which I think is really important. Paloma gets up around 7:30 everyday and when she goes back down for her nap an hour or so later, that's when I eat breakfast, prepare my tea and do my blogging. It makes me feel like myself to have that hour or so in the morning. Then, when she goes back down for her next nap, I do my workout. I do my house work and errands in the afternoon, and try to start supper before Andino gets home (but I'm not always successful.) I think it's important to take care of myself, not just for my physical state, but also for my mental state. I'm not saying I want to look and feel flawless, but I don't want my husband to come home from work and see me in my pajamas with spit up on my clothes and smelling like sour milk. I know I'm a Mom now, so maybe the expectations are different, but it's important to me that my husband still sees me as beautiful and maybe even more importantly, that I feel beautiful.

I am joining my sister-in-law in the 90 day challenge by Bikini Body Mommy. I am not doing her meal plan, but we eat really healthy anyway. I'm just doing her youtube workouts 6 days a week. Today is day 3 and I'm still feeling really excited about the challenge (and also feeling quite sore!) So who's joining me in this challenge?

12 comments:

  1. It's great that you are still making the effort to take care of yourself, not only for you but also for hubby. It really is so important. I'm with you on hating bras too! Have you thought about buying a few tanks that have built in padding/shelf bra (they carry some at Target here in the states)....so you don't have to wear a bra at all and could easily slip in nursing pads if needed. Seems you could easily pull them down to nurse too. I bought one to test out as a nursing tank myself, even though they aren't technically for nursing seems they'd work great and are still presentable in public or comfy at home lounging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I heard barre classes are hard! Do you do the workout at home or at a gym? I'm not really familiar with it but I remember hearing it's a good workout. For me, it's not as much about the body fat because I know that will come off in time. It's about toning up - especially my core & butt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really hard.... but it's a great workout. One of my friends from high school opened a barre3 studio here, so that's where I go. You can also do online workouts via the barre3 website. A sleeps through the night, which is fab, but her naps can be short and very unpredictable so I don't get much time to myself during the day. I like to go to class on the weekend when the hubs is home and can watch her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that you still want to look good for hubby! Good luck with you Bikini Body Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in on the challenge :) Will really have to force myself to do that. I live on tank tops, and then whatever blouse I feel like putting on top of it. That way you pull the top down, while staying covered in the belly, and t-shirts can also cover a bit around when nurse it. After Yu has her first meal (around 5 or 6 am) I shower, and get dressed. That makes me feel more like a person, if I stayed in my pijamas for longer I think it would just "delay" my whole day, and as it is I barely have time, I feel like I am always running around.
    You look good in those pics from the picnic, and I am super jealous of your red hair! Painting nails makes all the difference in feeling "put together".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited you are in on the challenge!

      Delete
  6. Its good that you're taking the time to take care of you as well as Paloma. Timeline of a breastfed baby suggests pregnancy weight starts dropping off between three and six months so what with that and your 90 day challenge you will be one fit Mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome!! and I'm going to have to go check out this timeline now :)

      Delete
  7. First of all you look fantastic! However I do feel you on wanting to look the same as pre-baby. 6lbs is awesome! It's way better than 60lbs... ahem... I'll never eat that much ice cream and chocolate again! Haha

    I've been doing Hot Yoga once a week lately. I just checked out the Bikini Body Mommy link. I don't think I'll do that program, but it did inspire me to hit the weights that I have collecting dust once again! I'd also like to increase my Yoga sessions to a few times a week as well. I think in modern times we must make an effort to be active. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look great too! Are you still doing Paleo?

      I wish I was a yoga person but I just cant get into it... I'm not peaceful like you.

      Delete
  8. You sound like the most put together new Mama I know! hee hee. No, I mean it. It sounds like you are doing great, although I'm sure Andino would love you and think you're beautiful no matter what. I always liked to go bra-less at home as well. I don't have leaky boobs since I'm not nursing, but I have two babies that seem to like to pinch them! It pretty much forces me to wear a bra. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the best things about quitting pumping was not having to wear a bra 24/7 anymore. I was even sleeping in nursing bras or I would wake up soaked. Crazy.
    You are becoming my new mom hero. Painting my nails and putting on makeup just didn't happen for a long time. I lived in yoga pants. I can't remember the last time I blow dried my hair. haha.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs