Sunday, 6 July 2014

Baby Wearing & Cloth Diapering

Despite all the running around we've been doing since our basement flooded, we've still found some time to relax. We've gone on a few walks around the lake which Paloma loves because she loves being outside! If she is fussy, all we have to do is take her outside and 90% of the time she will instantly calm down and look quietly at her surroundings, soaking in the fresh air. I always use my Wrapsody baby wrap on our walks. There are a few different ways to wrap it, but I always use the wrap which allows me to easily nurse her on the go. All I do is loosen the knot, drop her down a bit and start nursing. It takes me a minute to latch her on, then I continue walking. When she's done I just snug her back up and burp her. Being able to nurse her on the go has been very convenient.I feel like it's quite discreet and you'd really have to be looking at us to realize I'm nursing. The only drawbacks to my wrap is that the material is so long that if I am putting her into it when I am outside it drags on the ground while I'm tying it. If the ground is wet and dirty then the material would get dirty too. Also, it's been super hot here lately and it's not very breathable. I thought I'd use my ring sling a lot more, but I hardly ever use it! I don't find it as comfortable because all the weight is on one shoulder. Although it's quick to pop the baby into, I find it very difficult to position her properly so she's always at an uncomfortable angle.  I am planning on buying another baby carrier and I want one that is a basic colour. My wrap is a beautiful colourful design, but I need something more basic that won't clash with my outfits. I am thinking of getting a mei tai... Anyone have any suggestions?

Today we went on a coffee date with one of my girlfriends. Paloma has SO MANY fancy dresses, but I hardly ever use them. I just love putting her in casual, hippy-style outfits like the one she wore today, which was sent to us from my sister in law (and some of the outfits were worn by my two nieces before Paloma!) I'm not even sure her headband matched her outfit today, but she rocked it anyway. 


We've been cloth diapering her since she was 2 weeks old. I didn't do it right off the bat because I didn't like her diapers rubbing against her umbilical cord until it fully healed. Plus, by 2 weeks old she was around 8 pounds which is when I found the diapers really started fitting her. We use fitted diapers at night and applecheeks during the day. We haven't found cloth diapering to be any more of a hassle than disposables at all. Sure, it's an extra load of laundry a day or every second day, but how hard is it to throw a load of diapers in the wash? At first I was drying them in the dryer, but now I'm putting them on the line which gets the stains out completely! I love using my clothes line in the summer, who doesn't love crawling into bed with fresh sheets from the line?


After all the years of waiting and daydreaming, I'm finally a babywearing, cloth diapering Mama! It's still so hard to believe...

18 comments:

  1. Hooray for babywearing, cloth diapering Mamas! Paloma is such a cutie.

    Which 'carry' do you use for breastfeeding and how do you place Paloma? I'm using a wrap and haven't figured out how to breastfeed in it yet. Even though it is winter here we both find the wrap very warm and its a bit of a hassle to put on quickly if I just want to pop her in for a minute or two. I've been trying out<a href="http://schamelot.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/no-sew-baby-ktan-wrap-style-carrier.html> a home-made K-tan</a> around the house for the last couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that looks great - a baby carrier made from t-shirts! That would definitely be nice & breathable. Thanks for sharing!

      The wrap instructions are all here: http://wrapsodybaby.com/babywearing-resources/wrapping-instructions/beginner-wrapping/ The "wrap cross carry" is the one you can use for nursing. The Basic X is the one I use if I won't be nursing because you tie it first and then put baby in, so you can tie it before leaving the house.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info/link (and sorry I made such a mash of the one I put in my comment). L. x

      Delete
  2. Love your last sentence and hearing the joy in your post. She sounds like a pretty good baby! Love how much you are getting out and about and not just feeling like you should stay home. I hope to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear you are out and about! Little Pamola is so cute!

    I usually tied the access fabric from the wrap around my waist so it wouldn't drag. I noticed on some sites you can order different "sizes" or lengths based on preference, height & weight. I always wanted a Bali Breeze wrap but I don't know if the come in plain colors. Woven wraps are supposed to last forever. I liked my Mei Tai for back carries as it was easier to get her up there... makes housework easier on fussy days! If were to get one again I'd go with one that has wider padded straps so it'd be easier to carry a toddler sized child as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard woven wraps are really long lasting, that's one thing I liked about it. I think you need a sturdy carrier for toddlers, although it's still possible in a wrap.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I found www.wrapyoubaby.com helpful for deciding on choosing sizes, types of wraps and explaining different carries. Plus she's a gypsy who travels around selling baby carries so it's cool to read her story anyway. Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out the website - very awesome! I think I am going to try a back carry soon because she had a great video.

      Delete
  6. I really like the sound of this. I will look more into baby wearing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, it is surreal huh? To have our long-dreamt of kiddos finally here with us. I look at her smile and it's just so magic.

    You have to teach me all of your babywearing tricks, you make it look easy. I have watched a million youtube videos, but I never feel like she is safe in it I must be doing something wrong.

    You girls look super cute. I am not sure if the Boba is a Mei Tai but a friend has it and she loves it, they are so pretty too.

    I like the Hoppediz woven wraps, they are so beautiful . I want to learn to wear her in this position.

    I know you are not looking for a structured carrier, but I love our Maxi Cosi Easia, and I have a bunch of friends who highly recommend the Lillebaby, just in case you are considering other options.

    I am glad that you all seem to be doing so well, you both look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep experimenting with wrapping her and you'll get it. That position looks very comfy, it looks like the kangaroo carry. Have you found an instructional video? Check out the videos at wrapyourbaby.com

      I think I will get a structured carrier for when she's bigger & heavier... I will check out the ones you suggested, thanks!

      Delete
  8. Love this! We are going to cloth diaper also. I'm going to google apple cheeks. There are so many different kinds and brands it's overwhelming. So looks so much like her Daddy in that first pic! Precious!! Glad breast feeding sounds like it's getting easier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like applecheeks because they are made in Canada and because if you use them as a pocket diaper the insert agitates out in the wash - no need to unstuff.

      BFis definitely getting easier, thank God! and yes, she's our little Latina! :)

      Delete
  9. Oh, she is so cute!!! Love the pics and the happiness in your posts!
    The two carriers I have are the Baby K'tan and the Boba 4G. I love both. I borrowed a Boba Air from a friend for a bit, and like that for hot weather (the 4G can get warm). I use the K'tan 90% of the time right now, but the Boba will be useful as she gets a little bigger, and for walking longer distances. I use the K'tan for shorter walks, for around the house, in the yard, when out & about, to trick her into napping, etc. Now that she's got great head/neck control, she loves sitting up and looking around it in. She didn't love it when younger when I tried to position her head to the side!
    If I was home with my girl, I'd cloth diaper all the time. We do mostly cloth right now at home-- they are so cute with their giant fluffy bums!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never really got the hang of baby wearing - especially with wraps. Maybe because with twins it's not an option when I am alone with them. Plus, wearing them never seemed to soothe them when they were newborns so I just didn't do it that often. I do have a couple of the Beco Gemini carriers we use sometimes when we are both out with the babies. It's a structured one so we should be able to use them for awhile. I like that they can face out because right now they just want to look at the world and I don't think they would like always having to face me. It's supposed to be a better design than the bjorn which can cause hip problems apparently. Eventually, when their reflux is resolved, I can wear them on my back (can't now due to my fear of ending up with puke all down my back). I think it's so great you are getting out so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! That must feel so good to say that you are finally a baby wearing, cloth diapering mama! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs