Monday, 23 June 2014

The Flood

What a weekend! I'm writing this from a hotel room... Our basement flooded which obviously really sucks. We started the week by meeting with our Real Estate agent because we were considering selling our house very soon and by the end of the week we were talking about gutting our basement and totally redoing it. When we saw the flooding we thought we'd be able to dry it ourselves quickly, but it proved to be a bigger job than we first expected. Now it's been wet for so long that it really stinks! We called the insurance company and they came to inspect the damage this afternoon. We moved to a hotel today for 3 nights and I guess we will make further plans from there. Paloma and I are here alone while Andino drives to his parent's place to drop the dogs off to be baby-sat. I'm sad because I love having them with me during the day. I feel overwhelmed with our current situation. I stress whenever she cries that she's disturbing other guests and its lonely in the hotel room. We were just starting to get into the swing of things at home and moving to the hotel stresses me out big time. Andino will be at work during the days and working at our house at night, so we will mostly be alone here at the hotel.

In addition to fixing the basement, Andino and his brother will be renvoating our living room in preparation to sell. All the other rooms have been renovated and the living room was the last on the list. As it is now, you can really notice that the living room needs to be updated so it has to be done in order to maximize our profit when our house sells. Of course Paloma and I can't be around during all these renovations, so we are considering flying home for a few weeks. That way I'd have my family around to help me out and I would be staying somewhere I feel comfortable. Andino is sad to be away from Paloma but we don't see any other option. It's still not ideal but the idea of staying with anyone else feels even more stressful.

In some ways the flood was a blessing in disguise. Now everything in the basement will be new and working properly when we sell. As much as our current situation is an inconvenience to say the least, I'm excited to buy a new home. It's not like we are dying to move though, we love our little house. It has tons of natural light and Andino has landscaped our front and back yards beautifully; but we have 2 dogs, a baby and we are planning to try for another baby once I go back to work in a year. We know we'll need more room eventually. Plus, Andino's band jams in our basement and right now they are so crammed in that it's actually unbelievable they don't mind practising that way. Andino dreams of having a big basement with a bar for his band and I dream of having a house with a big beautiful kitchen and bathroom. We have a cute little house now, but there is no room for anything more than the necessities - we don't even have room for a coffee table in our living room!

Everything is still up in the air. Hopefully we figure things out soon...

15 comments:

  1. Oh gosh-- living in a hotel room with a newborn sounds miserable! I'm so sorry!! I hope you're able to get to your family soon- that definitely sounds like a better situation. Good luck selling your house and finding a new one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! What shitty timing with a new baby! I feel ya sister! I would be sad to have my doggies somewhere else too but it sounds like there is no choice. Poor Andino having to stay behind and missing little V, that would be so hard! I hope it all sorts out quickly and you guys get a great house. (me too) I love that you are already thinking about baby #2, I don't even have #1 yet and I think about how and if #2 is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to have at least 2 kids... even more so now!! God willing...

      Delete
  3. Oh no sweetie! How stressful! I'm so sorry this is happening. I love how you are always able to see the positive side of things through the storm. I hope things return to normal soon & you guys are able to get back to your routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning to look for the positive side is the best thing that came out of infertility. It's the only way I kept my sanity!

      Delete
  4. Boooo on the crappy timing of this basement mishap. Glad to hear you're taking it in stride as much as possible though (wouldn't expect anything less from you). :) I know Andino will miss V, but maybe being around family will be just what the doctor ordered to normalize from all the chaos as of late. Glad that the house will be in top notch condition for the best sale possible! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no what awful timing!! It sounds like time with your family is just what you need right now- especially if you can't be home with Andino!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! I'm so sorry about the flooding - home reno's are exciting but also super stressful! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds so frustrating, though shopping for a new home is exciting... I love house hunting! Hope you're only stukc in the hotel room for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. That sounds awful. But, I'm sure your family will love having some extended time with you and V. Good luck with the renovations and house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having just come through something similar, I know how much this sucks, and I can't even imagine how much worse it would be with a newborn. I hope it gets resolved soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh noooo! I'm sorry that sounds so stressful! Poor Andino, I guess the renos will keep him busy while you two are gone. Gotta love Skype though. Although I do hope I get to see you baby V even sooner than originally planned. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see you guys!! I don't think I'll be coming before August though... I am not feeling as stressed as I was in the beginning and some friends have offered us to stay with them so I think that's what we'll do. She is just so little to fly, especially since she hasn't got her shots yet. I will see you in 2 months though!! (that sounds like a long time) :(

      Delete
  11. How's the basement of your home doing now? It's really frustrating to have your home flooded, considering the damages it could cost you. Although, looking on the brighter side of things, at least that event gave way for you to actually remodel your basement. I just hope that you and your family are faring better these days. Thanks for sharing that! All the best!

    Gail Wallace @ Emergency Flood Masters

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dealing with floods and the potential damages it brings is never easy. Though it is good that this incident pushed you into making your basement and your living room better than what they started out with. Hopefully, this incident will not happen again after those improvements. Take care!

    Rolando Glover @ EcoPure Restoration

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs