Monday, 9 June 2014

The First Two Weeks

Baby V will be two weeks tomorrow. Today is the first day Andino went back to work, so us girls are on our own today. I've got her in my ring sling right now - hopefully she sleeps long enough to write a quick update.

I feel great. Obviously I also feel tired, but I am so, so happy to be a Mama. I read somewhere that during the sleep deprived weeks/months you can be tired & cranky or just tired. I've been trying my hardest to be just tired. I know that sleepless nights are just a phase that all parents go through and I know that when she's bigger and sleeping longer I will miss her tiny newborn stage. Our strategy for the night time is for Andino to take the first night shift so I can sleep 3 hours. (Last night I slept 3 1/2!) Then I take over and catch a few more cumulative hours before it's time to get up. When she wakes up during the night, I change her diaper, feed her for 30-40 minutes, burp her and hold her until she falls asleep and then I swaddle her. I can't put her down while she's awake because she would just cry. The whole routine takes about an hour and a half. She will sleep for an hour and a half before she starts to fuss. Before, I was picking her up and nursing her as soon as she started fussing, but now I will put my hand on her belly and try to encourage her to fall back to sleep, which she usually does for another hour.

The first week was stressful but I was really appreciative that my midwife came to visit us 3 times. V was jaundice so we had to feed her every 2 hours timed from the start of her last feed. She was often so sleepy it was very hard to wake her. Even washing her face with a cold wash cloth didn't work a lot of the time! It often took me half an hour just to wake her up and get her nursing and then she would fall asleep on the breast 10 minutes into the feed. The midwife said that the jaundice makes them tired but once it started to go away, she would be much more alert. She also said that nursing is hard work for newborns and can tire them out. I think the jaundice was mostly gone by Day 10 and I definitely noticed she was much more alert! She was really fussy on Day 10 (which was Saturday) and it felt like she was feeding non stop!

Now that the jaundice is gone and I don't have to feed her on a schedule anymore, I feed her on demand. I know I fed her a few times when she wasn't hungry but was crying/fussing because she was sleepy and needed to be rocked back to sleep. Now I am getting better at reading her cues, if she yawns I know she could probably sleep more and if she grunts and straightens her legs out I know she is trying to poop or fart. Now I try to do other things to calm her down instead of going straight to the boob and it seems to be working. With each passing day I am becoming more confident and learning more.

During the day, she wants to be held constantly so I put her in the sling so I can get things done. I worry that I am holding her too much but my Mom says that's impossible at this age. I want to hold her and she wants to be held so that's what we do. I worry that she won't be able to sleep in her basket at night because she is used to being held all day, but so far we are making it. The only other thing that is hard is being cooped up inside the house. I'm thinking of joining the Mom's group at the YMCA because I think it would be good for both me and V as well. I might even go this week!

And for old time's sake from when I took photos in the bathroom mirror to show off my bump, here is the final bathroom shot - me with V in her Sakura Bloom ring sling.


12 comments:

  1. LOVE everything about this post. LOVE. (Also, love the sling!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like y'all are doing well! Congrats on making it to PAIL status. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are doing so great!!! She is still just adorable and you look great too! I have so much experience with newborns but I am worried I wont know how to read my baby's cues...I guess it just takes a little time to get to know this new little person. I can't tell you how happy I am that you have managed to post twice already :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are starting to settle into a routine! I think a mom's group is a great idea. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the Book "Happiest Baby on the Block" by a paediatrician Harvey (or Harry) Koch. He emphasises that the first 12 weeks should be viewed like a fourth trimester and babies enjoy being swaddled and wrapped close to you and it's near to their familiar environment in the womb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you that you are a Mama. I think it is wonderful for you to hold baby V all day long. I can't wait to do that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great with a baby ;) It's all a learning process and learning all their cues. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far. Your mom is right, you can't hold them too much or spoil them at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! You look amazing! It sounds like you're figuring out this mommy thing just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone looks pretty damn happy in those pics. Especially the bug in the sling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!! I can't wait to meet her!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww she is super cute living on the outside!!! :) That sling looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you are a natural at mothering. Beautiful pics of her in the sling. So precious. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs