Monday, 16 June 2014

Getting Out & Photos

The first two weeks after V was born, we spent 24 hours a day bonding. We had lots and lots of time to cuddle and get to know each other. It was perfect. We only left the house a few times to go for walks. Andino took care of all the cooking, cleaning and running errands.


Our first walk together

Snuggling with her Mama and brother

Snuggling with her Papi and sister
Then Andino went back to work when she was 13 days old. I missed his company and I missed his help even more! I was feeling a bit cooped up, but I was nervous to leave the house. The thing I worried about most was feeding her in public. Our first social event as a family was the first birthday party of our good friend's daughter. I knew I'd be able to feed her in private there and I knew that all the people at the party would be really understanding of the stress of being a new Mom. The reason I was so nervous about feeding V outside of our home is because I can't use a nursing cover, so I worry about the looks I'll get when feeding her in public. I am still mastering the art of breastfeeding and I know if someone shot me a dirty look (or even worse a negative comment) my confidence would be shot. V did amazing at the party. She didn't fuss once and we had one of our best nursing sessions yet! (I wonder if she is going to be a social butterfly like her Dad...) At the party, I chatted with a friend about my worries around nursing V in public. This friend also couldn't use a nursing cover and said she never once received a negative comment in her 2 years of nursing in public. She said "If you've made the decision to nurse your baby, then you feed your baby wherever she's hungry. If that happens to be in a public place then you'll be as discreet as possible, but in the end it's about feeding your child and nothing else. Own your decision to nurse her and be confident about it!" It really did give me more confidence!

Today, the day before V turns 3 weeks old, we ran a few errands just the two of us. I had to drop off some documents I translated at my work. I introduced her to a few of my colleagues - it's such a nice feeling to show her off. I was there for about an hour and a half and I nursed her in my friend's office. Then we headed to the grocery store to pick up a few things and then home. V had a quick feeding, then back to pick up Andino from work.  She was a bit more fussy today than she was at the party, but we are definitely getting the hang of leaving the house together. I haven't used my stroller yet, I just pop her in one of my carriers. I find having her close to me not only helps my anxiety, but also keeps her calm and sleepy longer. 

Tomorrow, my goal is to make it to the Mom's group at the YMCA. I think the more we get out and socialize the better. The summer is so short here to spend it cooped up inside. Plus, the fresh air and scenery is good for my health!

I don't like to share photos on Facebook so I'd like to share some here. I never got around to posting photos of her nursery, so here it is. We didn't really have a theme, but I still love how it turned out. 



And a photo comparison of me at 39 weeks pregnant and 2 weeks post partum. What a change the body goes through!! 

The last photo taken of me pregnant
2 weeks post-partum. 




12 comments:

  1. Why can't you use a nursing cover? It was hard to breastfeed in public at first, the baby and I weren't skilled...but stick with it and soon it's the most natural thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love LOVE her crib! Beautiful nursery!! And holy moly, you look Ah-mazing Mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the nursery! And you look fantastic!!

    How come you can't use a nursing cover? At almost 7 mos in I still haven't nursed in public. Thank goodness for pumps and bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious why you can't use the nursing cover as well? In the short month I tried nursing, I attempted to use a cover a few times and I just felt clumsy with it. I'm sure it probably would have gotten better with practice, but it wasn't very comfortable in the short time I tried. My sister is a master at it though! She has BF all her babies through their first year and never minds where she does it at, but she does use a cover most of the time.

    You look absolutely stunning. I think it's fantastic that you use your carriers when you go out, rather than the stroller. I love the idea of baby wearing, although never got quite into it myself because we stayed home almost entirely during the twins first 3 months. I'm so glad you are getting out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the mural in the nursery! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos! The nursery looks beautiful. :)

    Out of curiosity, what type of wrap do you have? I'm looking for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing! I love the nursery...especially the dresser! I hope you start to feel more brave about breastfeeding in public sans coverup...it will just make your life easier! I'm sure it's easier said than done,I can imagine it's weird to rip your shirt off in public in front of strangers if you are not used to doing that...which I'm not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your nursery looks fantastic, and YOU look fantastic! I can only hope to look half that good 2 weeks post partum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby V is so cute! You look awesome!

    Maybe nursing in a wrap or sling would be more comfortable? I found some good how to videos on YouTube for learning how to wrap for nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never could get the hang of a nursing cover the brief time I was nursing. It just felt so awkward. I never did nurse in public since we never got good at nursing, anyway. Sounds like you are off to a good start and with more practice you will both get good at it and you will get comfortable doing it. I had so many friends who were pretty modest and tried to cover up and go into other rooms to nurse at first, but then a few months in they just whipped their boobs out anywhere.
    Also, you look amazing! Isn't it weird to see so much weight come off so fast?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love her nursery!! And I also love the idea of wearing her instead of using the stroller all the time! Glad you're able to get out more and enjoy some outings!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I can hear your newfound confidence coming through. You and V are brave and both doing so great! Love the nursery and love all the beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs