Thursday, 19 June 2014

A Good Baby

"Is she a good baby?"  That's what someone asked me last week. Obviously I answered yes, because who would say no? What kind of question is that? V is a good baby despite the fact that it is now 5:15 pm and she is only now taking her first good nap of the day. She's been fussing since 7:00 this morning. She hasn't been all out screaming, but she's been whimpering, crying & grunting mixed in with a few screams. I've been able to calm her down by putting her in my carrier and/or rocking her but she has been unsettled all day. The only time she seemed calm (until the nap she's taking right now) was when I went for a half an hour walk outside with my friend and her baby. She's been frustrated and sucking on her soother all day long. Until today, I haven't liked giving her the soother and she hasn't seemed to like it either. But today? I am willing to do anything to make her happy (and make her nap!) so I offered her the soother and she took it. I think she's having a growth spurt and that's the reason for the fusiness. I started googling growth spurts when she finally went down for her nap and I found this article. It made me feel better because we are experiencing exactly what the article describes, but then I felt bad because I'd been giving her a soother all day long when what she probably really wanted was to eat! My friend said she felt like there were days when her baby was feeding constantly and today V probably wanted to do the same! Is it a coincidence that today was the only day I've given her a soother for any length of time and it was also her fussiest day yet? Who knows... it's all trial and error over here!

I wrote last time about how I couldn't use a nursing cover. A lot of people asked why and I probably should have better explained it in my last post, but with a newborn I just write and publish - there's no time for proof reading! Anyway, the reason I don't like the cover is because my milk comes out so fast that she chokes, gulps & comes off and I have to relatch her frequently. I found the fabric of the cover frustrating when I had to constantly move it out of the way so I could sit her upright while she was choking, and to relatch her afterward. I've spoken to a lot of women who had the same experience as me in the first few weeks of breastfeeding and they've all told me that as the baby gets a bit bigger she'll be able to handle the fast flow a lot easier and she won't be choking and coming off the breast so much. I've noticed an improvement over the past few days and in fact her last feeding before her nap went perfectly well. Maybe once we master breastfeeding I'll try the cover again.

I tried to lay down for a nap myself this afternoon (for the first time since having her) but as soon as I drifted off, my dogs started barking bloody murder and someone who dared walk their dog past our fence. I decided to get up and do some laundry and blogging because I'm really not a napper anyway. I've been having pretty decent sleeps so I can survive one day extra tired.

V has already grown out of her newborn size clothing and is wearing 0-3 months. It makes me sad how fast babies grow! She's a good little eater, that's for sure.She's got chubby little cheeks and a double chin!

15 comments:

  1. She's sooo adorable! I am sorry she was so fussy for you today, hope it goes better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful little girl! I can't believe you haven't napped since she was born - you're like superwoman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same issues with nursing and with a cover at first. Sometimes Sofia would be so frantic she'd be thrashing her head around trying to latch that the cover would be so annoying. Nursing at home was much more natural.

    There was an interesting story about a lady who owned and worked at Rocco's in Dartmouth who would nurse in a wrap while busing tables. People were upset but I think she won out in the end. Now that's multitasking!

    Love the pic! It's funny how there are so many of babies sleeping in the early days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember that story of the woman nursing her baby while busing tables!

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah and about the "good baby"... comment I had a few of thoughs too and it really irritated me. Of course she is, she's a baby. So pure and innocent, how could a baby could be "bad". Babies have needs and wants and can't communicate them any other way then crying. Just saying. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? Every baby is good and every baby cries!

      Delete
  5. Too cute! Could also be that something you ate upset her stomach- I am finding there are certain things I eat that make them fussy. Bye bye spicy food, until we meet again ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely think it could be something I ate...

      Delete
  6. Ah the joys of cluster feeding! I swear there were times when Z would feed 24/7 for days on end. Never underestimate the power of the boob to calm baby ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right! And I'd rather her be nursing and happy than sucking on a soother and unhappy!

      Delete
  7. Oh, the stupid questions don't ever end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe. Sleeping so peacefully in that picture. She's precious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, I can't believe she's already outgrown all her Newborn clothes!!! So crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's adorable! And growing so fast!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs