Monday, 30 June 2014

1 month

*From now on I am going to refer to V as Paloma here. I figure my husband and I have nicknames on my blog so our daughter should too! It means dove in Spanish and it was actually on my list of baby names but Andino nixed it. I call her my little Palomita because my favourite song is this one by Caetano Veloso and I sing it to her everyday:


I've been a Mama for a little over a month and what a whirlwind of a month it's been! The first two weeks I think we were in a bit of a dream world. Andino was off work and it was so great to have him home with us during that time. It was just the 3 of us and it was as perfect as I imagined it would be. We were finally parents! It was amazing but I totally felt like the saying fake it until you make it was true for us in the beginning. No matter how prepared you feel before you have your baby, I think in the end it's all trial and error. Every baby is different and you have to figure out what works for your baby. The second two weeks was a bit harder because us girls were on our own, figuring each other out. I can't tell you how many times I called my Mom for advice. I feel so lucky to have my Mom around, maybe not geographically but I know she's always a phone call away. I know not everyone is so lucky. There were a few days when V cried a lot because of so much gas. It was to the point I started to wonder if she was colicky. It's heartbreaking when your baby cries and you can't help her. It may have taken us a month, but thankfully I think we've figured out breastfeeding. I've been nursing her from only one side per feeding for about a week and she isn't choking anymore, so my plan must have worked to even out my supply. She isn't gassy anymore because she is able to nurse without gulping to keep up with the flow. I am happier because she's not crying and of course she's happier because she's not uncomfortable.

On the weekend we took our first family road trip to watch Andino's band play at a festival a few hours away. It was a stressful drive because we discovered our basement was leaking again literally half an hour before we hit the road. We were late because we had to make a pit stop to buy a nose sucker because Paloma's nose was so stuffed up she was breathing loudly and snorting! We made it to the festival just in time for Andino to take the stage and it was so fun! It's not easy to get out of the house and on the road with a newborn, but we make it happen because we want to create these memories.

So this post is a few days late because I wanted to include a 1 month photo, but my camera was at my house... and we are not.




At 1 month old, Paloma

Likes:
Going for walks outside with Mama in a carrier
Sleeping on Papi's chest
Listening to music

Dislikes:
Cold water
Getting her nose cleaned
Her carseat

First:
Smiles
Hotel stay
Music festival
Birthday party
Time at a restaurant


We tried to go swimming at the hotel but the water was much too cold for my girl!

12 comments:

  1. She is so beautiful and can I say (in a totally non-creepy way) that you look phenomenal in that bathing suit. You birthed a child a month ago? LIAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy one month baby V! (I love her nickname by the way, so pretty!) I'm so glad you got things to work out with breastfeeding and that you were able to take your first road trip without too many problems. I agree with Aramis, you look phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad she is doing so well and that BFing is going better!!! Hate that the basement is leaking again...YUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the light at the end of the tunnel. Sounds like things are settling down with BF'ing. She's SUCH a cutie pie and you look absolutely fantastic as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what Aramis said. All those walks with V are paying off. Glad your first trip went well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy one month! That flew by! I love that you listed her likes and dislikes - now you'll have that recorded forever and you can look back and reminisce whenever you want.

    P.S. SUPER jealous of that post-baby body. You're one hot mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing! Ah-mazing. And she is beautiful. So proud of you! It's tough when hubby goes back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe! Congrats on one month. She's beautiful just like her mama.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful baby girl! She looks like she's throwing her hand up in the air and celebrating turning one month in the second picture. Hooray with a fist pump! And holy smokes woman! You are rockin that swim suit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. k supermodel mom lol! 1 month after having Paloma and you look like that!? kisses to baby. <3 Lola

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great update! I'm glad breastfeeding is getting easier. I only feed from one side at a time too-- works for us. I also want to add that it is very rude to look so great one month postpartum! ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs