Thursday, 22 May 2014

Home Improvements

5 days until my due date and still no baby! I am at the point now where people text or call me to ask if I have "any news?!" I have no signs or feelings that she is coming any time soon, although my friends have told me that they didn't have any signs either (especially with their first baby) until all of a sudden they started to have contractions. I am anxious to meet her but I am trying not to wish the time away and to enjoy the beautiful weather and my full nights of sleep while I still can.

So now that the weather has finally been beautiful here on the Canadian prairies, Andino has been hard at work outside. He loves landscaping and he's made such huge improvements to our yard since we bought our house 2 years ago. He couldn't wait to get back out there this summer and work on the projects he has in mind. The only thing I've done was buy a humingbird feeder and hang it in the tree in our front yard. Andino filled my bird feeder with seeds and hung it in the back yard so I can't even take credit for that. The birds haven't found them yet which makes me sad because I love waking up in the morning to their chirps and to see them flying around the feeders. This is the first year I hung a hummingbird feeder and I am so anxious to see if they will find it. I think I may have been a little late getting it up and I don't think any of my neighbours have feeders out to bring hummingbirds to the area, but I hope I can attract some eventually. I love birds!

For the past week, Andino has been out in the yard with his wheelbarrow and garden tools, busy making the house look beautiful. He is so good at envisioning what he wants the yard to look like and getting it done. Me? Not so much. Not even a little. I am so envious of people with a strong sense of style. I am not exaggerating when I say that I can hardly tell if my clothes match, let alone decorate my home with fashion and flare. I have daydreams of being one of those people who can buy an old piece of furniture for 5 bucks and refinish it to make it into something beautiful. I often look on Pinterest or Better Homes & Gardens for home decorating/improvement tips on a budget and I am really interested in the Small House Movement and read about that sometimes too. It's just that when it comes time to actually tackle the project, I don't have confidence enough to do it. Maybe that should be my goal over the summer - to learn more about these kind of projects I am interested in so I can have a new hobby! Some people tell me I will have my hands so full with the baby I won't have time for anything else, but other friends have told me that it's good to have a hobby so you don't feel like all you do is change diapers. I guess we will see how things go for me!

So while I wait for baby I will be enjoying the beautiful weather we've been having and taking lots of long walks to try to encourage her to come. Here's a photo of some Canadian Geese with their babies from my walk yesterday!


17 comments:

  1. I've been obsessively checking for your posts (they have just stopped showing up on my feed for unknown reasons) to see if I've missed anything, Lol! I want to be going for walks especially when we have nice weather but my feet!!! They are swollen and sore :( I go for a couple walks a week but try to put them up as often as I can.
    I feel like I have a strong style preference when it comes to the house and having an artist as a husband is definitely a huge benefit! He has very strong opinions on furniture, rugs, paint colors, knick knacks etc!
    The yard is a different story. I think if we owned the house I would invest a lot more time and energy (and money) into it. Now all we do is pick up the dog poop and now the lawn.
    I'm glad you are still feeling good and are enjoying the short time you have left! Go on one or two more dates with And I no while you can!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whyyyyy aren't my posts showing up for you! :( I am so happy you keep checking back, it makes me want to write more often just for you!! haha

      My husband is an artist too (of the musical kind but I think his brain works that way) but I feel lucky because if he sucked as bad as I do then our house would look terrible! haha thank God he has an artsy side!

      Delete
  2. I'm not good when it comes to decorating or things like that. I truly don't have a flare for fashion either, considering I mostly live in sweats or capris and a t-shirt. I will also counter your notion of no fashion sense, along with Cristy! You always looks so fantastic in all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I try to have some fashion but I don't always succeed! haha

      Delete
  3. Thanks for thinking I have a fashion sense! And I totally agree, starting small is the key...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 days til due date?! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Andino is done with your yard he can come to Toronto and deal with my grubby, weedy lawn. You won't need him, right? :) As for labour signs, my friend Calla (who I've blogged about) had absolutely none until her water broke in a Starbucks. Hope you have more notice than that. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five days!!! Ahhhh!!!!!!

    I'm so excited for you.

    I still have four weeks to go and even I was disappointed at my lack of signs... like, shouldn't I be feeling something by now? Braxton-Hicks? Then the other night I finally had about ten minutes of contractions and wow, they were terrible. Ouch! I mentioned my concerns to my doctor today and she said that she's only ever had one patient not know she was in labor, and that's because she was having such painful/explosive diarrhea that she couldn't separate the cramping pain from labor pain. Gross, but true. That made me feel better.

    Your yard sounds lovely, and when Aramis is done with Andino you can send him way south to the States to do my yard, please! Ha, I yell at Eric all the time, but the most I can get him to do is mow (occasionally).

    Best of luck to you, my friend, and I can't wait for your "she's here!" post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts haven't been showing up for me either! I'm glad I clicked over here to check it out. I can't believe your due date is soon! I'm so excited for you!
    I didn't have any signs I was going into labor until my water broke. Other than being five days overdue, of course, which I took as a sign that something had better happen soon! I had Braxton Hicks starting at something crazy like 20 weeks, so that didn't help at all.
    As for hobbies-- I do think it's important to have something to do other than take care of the baby. That doesn't mean you'll be able to do it right away, but the good thing about having a partner is he can take over baby duty for a few hours here and there so you can get some alone time (you'll probably want to use it for sleep at first though!). Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five days!!! I'm stoked!!! But I definitely agree, stock up on the sleep while you can. I always thought people were joking when they said get sleep now...
    It is rough to adjust at first, but humans are good at adapting, and being a Mama is so rewarding.

    I'm am totally envious of your backyard, it's a small way to connect with nature, but at least it's your small part. I also love birds, I'm always trying to figure out which sounds certain birds make. I hope some little guys find your feeders soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have a positive attitude about the sleep deprivation. Some people make it sound like a living hell!! It probably depends on what kind of sleeper your baby is too...

      Even though we have a tiny yard (compared to my parents) in the city, it's still a little slice of nature and a place where I can plant some flowers/herbs and have a little bit of private space. My garden is nothing compared to what you've got going at my parent's though!!

      Delete
  9. Your posts aren't showing up for me either! I'm now 3 days past my due date and have to tell you, the texts and calls don't go away! We are getting so tired of the phrase "no baby yet?!?" Like we would have her and not tell anyone! I hope all goes well for you with L&D and hope our girls will be here soon. The latest they are letting me go is Thursday - maybe we will be right around the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because you have to update to my new address (www.thegypsymama.ca) from the old wordpress one... I'm glad you found me though!!

      I hope your girl makes her appearance soon!

      Delete
  10. sounds awesome! I would love to see pictures of your lawn. I can easily imagine how I would like our house and yard to look (although decorating and gardening are not necessarily my top priorities). The problem is that actually doing it is so much work lol. So we end up with big plans and piles of dirt and empty planter pots in the yard. At least MIL is visiting next week and has offered to help me plant some flowers. That sounds fun. Fingers crossed that baby girl makes an appearance soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least you have one step in the right direction with a plan. If the yard were my responsibility it would not be half as nice as it is now! I hope your MIL helps you plant some nice flowers :)

      Delete
  11. Hummers will definitely be there soon to visit, as well as a beautiful baby girl. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs