Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Home Alone = Beauty Night

On Friday, Andino's band had a show in a city that's a few hours away so they stayed in a hotel. Whenever I have the house to myself, I like to watch shows or movies on Netflix that I know Andino wouldn't like. (I just finished the series Call the Midwife.) I usually don't bother making supper and just pick up something quick and easy from the grocery store. This time I picked up veggie burgers and some pre-made quinoa salad. Of course I miss hanging out with Andino when he's not here, but I'm glad I have my dogs to keep me company. I'm pretty boring and usually go to bed early. I can't even blame it on the pregnancy either because I've always liked to get a solid night's rest and since I can't sleep in, that means I go to bed early. A girl needs her beauty sleep, right?

Anyway, I noticed the main thing I seem to do when I have the house to myself is to try new beauty things. I will spend some time reading blogs for makeup tips, do a face mask, paint my nails...

Oh, and the other thing I did when Andino was out of the house on Friday? dye my hair. He doesn't like when I dye my hair. I think he's mostly afraid it's going to look bad, but it's also because it damages your hair. I use semi-permanent dye so I don't think it's as damaging as permanent, but I know it's not good, especially since I am growing my hair out. He liked it this time though.

I've never been much of a makeup person. I've been wearing undereye concealer for ages though, because I am so pale that I have dark circles under my eyes all the time (even despite all the sleep I get!) I won't leave the house without my undereye concealer on. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I've been kind of getting into makeup lately. It started a couple years ago when I started trying to copy my favourite makeup look - eyeliner all the way around the eye. I tried it when I would go to one of Andino's shows or on a date night. I still love the look but I don't do it anymore. I find that it looks half-decent when I put it on, but within an hour or so I've rubbed it off/it's melted off and it's no longer all the way around my eye. I also find that it's a little to drastic for me since I am so pale.

I swear I've only taken a handful of selfies in my life, this being one of them.

So now that I am over the eyeliner thing, I have been reading beauty blogs for new makeup tips & ideas. When Andino was in Chile for Christmas, the Body Shop had a Buy 3 get 3 free sale and since apparently I'm all about the beauty stuff when Andino is away, I bought some makeup. I love the blush I got from them, and I love the colours of the eyeshadows I got too, but they seem to melt off not long after I put them on. Erika over at Something Beautiful  has been writing about makeup lately and she strongly recommends that we invest in primer. I haven't yet, but I am going to. I love a good eyeshadow, but I hate when it melts off and collects in the crease of my lid halfway through the morning.

So now that I am officially on Mat leave, I've been home alone during the days. In other words, I have time to think about beauty stuff before baby comes. I like Anna Saccone's blog  and have been mostly reading that for some tips and now I want to ask you! Whats in your makeup bag that you love?

My 2 favourites right now are 

I'm surprised at how much I like this! I have never worn foundation in my life but I decided I wanted to buy some just to have in my makeup bag. I did buy some Cover Girl foundation but I've only worn it a couple times. Whenever I feel like I need a bit of coverage I reach for this BB cream instead. It goes on nice and smooth and covers up any red marks or uneven skin tone without feeling like I am wearing anything more than face cream. I don't wear it every day, but I like having it in my makeup bag for the days I want to step up my makeup game a bit. 
I do wear this pretty much every day now. I love it because you can just put on a really light layer to add a bit of colour or you can build it up to a more dramatic look. I think for pale people like me, blush is one of the most flattering things you can wear (makeup wise). I have dry, sensitive skin so I used to have cream blush in my makeup bag because I heard it was the best for my skin type, but I never wore it because I found it too difficult to apply in an even, light layer. This blush is great and doesn't irritate my skin at all.

** I think it goes without saying that I was not reimbursed in any way for this makeup review. I wish I was, wouldn't that be awesome to be sent free products to try?

5 comments:

  1. The best thing about being home alone for me is that I get control over the TV. The novelty wears off quickly, though, then I feel like it's too quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all - you're seriously gorgeous. Sorry if that sounds creepy girl-crush stalker-ish, but I have to say it because it's true!

    Second - I don't know much about makeup but I can tell you that Erika is SPOT ON with her review on eyelid primer. I also suffer from oily eyelids and would hate how my eye makeup looked at the end of the day, but after discovering eyelid primer it has truly changed my life. I cannot recommend it enough. I personally use the brand Too Faced (they have it at Ulta and Sephora, little blue tube and it lasts forever). I trusted Erika and I'm going to try the Urban Decay next because it's much cheaper. Either way, though... do yourself a favor and get some. It's awesome.

    Eric hates when I dye my hair too, isn't that funny? Because of him I actually haven't colored it at all - not even highlights - for close to 4 years. I'll admit it's much easier to keep up (obviously...) and cheaper because all I need to pay for is cuts. I think I do want subtle highlights soon though, after the baby maybe when I'm trying to get my groove back.

    Thanks for the makeup reviews! I use the Maybelline BB Cream, I'm sure it's very similar. I love how light it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the blush thing and the concealer. I'm way more pale than you, and I find they makes me look alive some days.
    I've been trying to go more natural with my makeup choices, to end up finding out some of the products I bought were "green washed" anyway, so I was just spending more money. The last things to go all natural (if ever) will probably be anti-presparant and hair dye.
    I love coconut oil for makeup remover. Jojoba oil for a night moisturizer.
    I've also been paranoid about the little wrinkles creeping up lately, so I've been making bone broth for the collagen, minerals and vitamins. Yes, I already know I'm crazy... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's hard to know which makeup is actually green and which are green-washed. I 100% agree with you on the anti-perspirant and hair dye, well unless you count henna hair dye... and this may sound gross but I just don't wear deodorant. I never have! Luckily, I don't sweat from my armpits much...

      And why does it not surprise me that you are making bone broth? lol... I hate my wrinkles creeping up to, but the only thing I do is avoid the sun. I don't know if anything really works to actually minimize wrinkles once they're there...

      Delete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs