Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Why Blog?

When I started blogging back in 2011, we were in the process of applying to adopt a sibling group of 3 children from Colombia. Whenever I think about the fact that I had actually convinced my husband that we should adopt three children all at once  my heart melts at the realization that I am married to a man who is truly willing to go to the ends of the earth to create a family with me. God love him.


So I started blogging because I knew the adoption process would take years and when you want something as bad as I wanted to start a family, you can't feel like you are sitting on your hands. Just waiting. Waiting is the hardest part. Waiting to complete your homestudy, waiting for an important immigration document to arrive in the mail, waiting for your next cycle to begin so you can try again. When I wrote, I felt like I was doing something while waiting.

And I wrote to remember the good times. I was so afraid that I would look back on the years we spent trying to grow our family and feel like all I did was wait. The truth is that we did so much more than that. We fought and struggled and cried together. We became closer and our marriage stronger. We learned so much about ourselves and each other. Not to mention, we did both of our IVF cycles in Cancun, so we even got to travel!

I had to inject Gonal-F on the tour bus the day this photo was taken!
Right before egg retrieval
And in blogging, I met so many women who were going through the same things as I was and I didn't feel alone. Knowing them gave me the courage to be completely open about our infertility in real life. I think infertility is one of those things that is actually a lot more common than some people realize and once you start talking about it, you meet so many people who have gone through (or are going through) the same thing. The infertility blogging community was such an amazing support for me that it makes me wonder how women coped before the days of the internet.

When I became pregnant I decided to start a new blog for our new journey. I didn't save my old posts because the reason I write is for the sense of release I feel when I articulate my feelings and share them with others. Now that I have officially crossed-over from an infertility blogger to a family blogger, the things I write about are different, but the reason I write is the same. To share my journey with others and hopefully make some friends along the way. To know that others are facing the same challenges as I am and we are all doing our best to overcome them. But it's not just about the challenges, I love to write about the happy times, the making of memories and the lessons learned along the way.

I hope you find some good stories to read here.


3 comments:

  1. I sort of wrote about this today, too. Mostly about how I miss all the ladies who stopped blogging. So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad you're here, and I really hope you continue blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those are fabulous reasons to blog and I will keep reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging really helped me when we were struggling to conceive. We also chose to adopt and as we do not have a lot of resources on adoption in South Africa the internet and connecting with other people provided a lot of help. After 5 years trying we fell pregnant (currently 23weeks along) and I am so excited for you who are welcoming your daughter any day soon.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs