Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Positive Thinking

Don't you find when you are reading a book on a certain topic it starts to change your every day behaviour? For example, 6 or 7 years ago I was reading a book about spirituality and how to conserve personal energy. While reading the book, I began to notice how much personal energy I was losing because of how I reacted in daily situations. In the beginning, it was easy to remind myself of the tools I had learned to change my behaviour, but a few months after I finished the book, my old habits started to creep up again. Over the years I have read the same book at least 4 or 5 times until the teachings became ingrained in my memory and changed my behaviour permanently. (Although sometimes I still need a reminder; I read the book again about a year ago during a particularly challenging time in my life.)

Focusing on my blessings was the best coping tool I had when I was frustrated by the adoption/IVF process. Every time I would feel sorry for myself or worried about what the future would bring, I would remind myself how lucky I was to even be able to attempt IVF and pursue adoption. For many people (and even a few people I know personally) those paths to parenthood were not an option due to the heavy financial burden they carry. Reminding myself that there is always a silver lining, and that there are happy moments in even the worst days became a habit for me. Even though I'm not frustrated anymore, positive thinking is healthy and I never want to get out of the habit. I know that there will be many more challenges and frustrations to come and I hope that I can use the skills I learned while going through IVF & adoption to handle those situations well.

20 comments:

  1. Those cinnamon buns look delicious. There's actually an app that it's called 365gratitude. Instead of 100 day challenge it's a whole year. So once the year ends and those thoughts start creeping in about how bad that year was you can look back and see it was a great year after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I'm tempted to join you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 365 days of gratitude! I hardly ever take/post photos so that would be a lot for me. Hopefully the 100 days is enough to make it a habit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it! We have nothing to lose and so much to gain :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring, what a positive attitude. I am going to join too !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea. And those cinnamon buns look amaaaaazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant idea! Maybe I missed it but what is the name of the book?
    P.S. Seeing your big baby bump made me happy today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG they were so good! They only make them twice a week and I'm already planning to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh isn't it huge now?! Since I last saw you it's a lot bigger, eh?

    The book was called Journey to Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should! I really like this challenge so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely idea. And you are glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this challenge, you are so right ; "finding the joy " is what got me through the dark times of IF... it is one of the main reasons I started to blog, to force me to focus on those things (and of course to vent and let things out, and then it turned out in so much more, but I ramble).

    What I meant to say is you look so, so pretty in that picture. I really wish you all the happy moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm intrigued by this. I may have to try it. I think it would be really good for me since I tend to focus on the negative way too often.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww thanks so much girlfriend!! I wish you all the happy moments too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! It's been fun so far!

    ReplyDelete
  16. do it! I think it will be a great exercise :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Emily (eatloveprocreate.blogspot.com)13 March 2014 at 12:57

    Oh My! I'd be happy too if I was holding a cinnamon roll like that! Love your positivity mama! Can't wait to see your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love looking at pictures. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs