Wednesday, 18 December 2013

Special Delivery

Once baby's heartbeat was confirmed at our 8 week ultrasound, I decided to sign up for baby samples. It was an emotional moment for me when they arrived in the mail yesterday. Let me tell you why...

2 years ago, we had recently purchased our first house and I was excited to settle into it with my husband, 2 dogs and of course - our baby who would surely be on its way in no time. With all the naivety and confidence of my 26 years, I decided to sign up for free baby samples despite the fact that we had already been trying to conceive for a few months without success. Sure enough, a few months later the samples began to arrive. Free baby formula and bottles, baby wash and diapers. And of course, there was no baby.

I saved the first few samples that arrived, confident that I would be able to use them soon. Eventually I had to throw out a full size tin of formula because it had expired (depressing!)  As the samples continued to arrive, our baby was getting further and further away (or so it seemed). Adoption programs we liked closed, infertility treatments failed, and yet the samples continued to arrive every few months, congratulating my non-existent baby on beginning solid food and taking its first steps. It was pure torture every time I opened the mail box and found a sample of baby stuff. It was a reminder that if we had conceived within our first year of trying (as most couples do) we'd have a rambunctious toddler by now! Heck, we might even have baby #2 on the way!

The final sample arrived (snacks & coupons for older toddlers) on a summer day when I was shopping for a baby shower gift with my very pregnant friend. (Lord knows shopping at baby stores as an infertile is hard enough, let alone when you bring your pregnant friend with you!) We left work early to shop at the baby store together and I wanted to swing by my house to change out of my work clothes first. I ran inside to change and on the way out I checked the mail. The baby samples package was there and I didn't even bother to open it, I just gave the package to my friend. I remember sitting in my car and cursing the day I was stupid enough to sign up for baby samples when I was not pregnant!

I know a lot of people choke up when they see their baby moving around on the ultrasound, or hear the heartbeat for the first time, but Andino and I are not criers. We didn't choke up at our wedding or during the ultrasounds - we were too excited and grinning from ear to ear! But let me tell you... when I opened my mail box yesterday and found a package of baby samples for newborns - I choked up. Finally the day had come when I received baby samples for my baby who is on the way!! Somehow everything we have been through and everything we have to look forward to really hit me in that moment.

wpid-20131217_130243.jpg

27 comments:

  1. Love free stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Canadian! But I'm sure you guys have lots too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. It's funny I haven't cried yet either and I can guarantee it'll be something like this that will send me to a blubbering mess. How exciting to get samples when you're expecting finally after everything you've been through?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the small moments like this that can stand out so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose ultrasound didn't make them cry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't cry at the ultrasound either, I was just amazed and awe struck! I love free stuff too! Athough I get kind of bummed when companies always send formula, what about breastmilk savers instead?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's funny that I even bothered to sign up for formula samples since I don't even plan to use them!! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww I'm so glad that you got those samples and that it made your day!

    I cry at TV commercials, but I didn't cry walking down the aisle or anything like that. I think that those "big moments" are just way too big to process when they're happening. I picture myself crying when the baby is born, but who knows! With my track record I might not, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. as hard as we tried for crue and as much as we wanted him, no ultrasounds made us cry either!
    enjoy all the deliveries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is so fun!!! Love getting free stuff, especially when it's baby stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to have to remember this for if I ever get pregnant. Freebies are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't cry at any ultrasounds, either. I thought I would. I am a crier. I bawled when I got the positive pee stick.
    I can apparently get freebies and discounts for multiples but I have to wait until I get birth certificates to claim them. I love free stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know you could sign up for freebies like that! I LOVE that now you KNOW you are getting those samples for YOUR baby! It's little things like that, that can sneak up on you and bring out the emotion. I'm so glad you will be able to save those samples knowing you will be able to use them this time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, I wonder if I will cry when baby is born... maybe it will take time to sink in. I cried during an adoption documentary yesterday though... I guess I am just unpredictable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess I'm not the only one who didn't cry. That's a relief! haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love freebies! I bet there are lots of other kinds of freebies too...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Make sure you sign up for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's really satisfying to receive packages in the mail and know that I will actually be using them! haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how exciting... thanks for this reminder. We just signed up for a bunch of free samples (I had the links, but it had totally slipped my mind).
    Ultrasounds are so exciting. We normally grin like crazy too, but I have to confess I did get a knot in my throat the first time we heard the heartbeat, tears of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad things are looking good with your pregnancy. I'm really happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. For me, it was signing up for diaper service last week that did it. Who would've thought that poop receptacles would be the thing to start the tears rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so happy for you to be able to experience this. As far as the crying... that all changes once the hormones become too much. I never used to cry either, add a pregnancy, delivery, birth of your first child... it changes you, and then you are constantly catching those little escaping tears as the movie credits roll. ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs