Saturday, 14 December 2013

So Much Change in 10 Weeks

Oh my gosh. Am I at the stage in pregnancy where people start to touch my belly? How did that happen? Am I really the pregnant woman at the party?

Last night, Andino and I were celebrating the 40th birthday of one of his best friends and someone (who I had just been introduced to) touched my belly! It was my first time wearing a tight shirt that showed off my little bump. Up until now I've only been wearing loose shirts outside of the home because I was self conscious during the beginning stages of pregnancy when I had definitely gained a few pounds but I didn't have a bump yet so I just looked like I ate too much. Last night I decided I was ready to show off the bump - and what better time than at a celebration with some of Andino's nearest and dearest friends?

4 Months photo 20131213_195615_zpseb82f92b.jpgThe woman who touched my belly was the girlfriend of one of Andino's friends. It was the first time we'd seen them since I became pregnant (and the first time I met the girlfriend) and Andino told his friend the news. The girlfriend immediately reached out and touched my belly. I was surprised because I still don't feel pregnant yet (despite the bump) because I haven't felt bebe move and I don't have any pregnancy symptoms. I didn't mind the belly rub though, in fact it made me feel a little special! After expressing her excitement and congratulating us, she launched into telling me that I shouldn't get an epidural and that Doctors rush too quickly to suggest pain medication and my body will be able to handle the delivery because that's what it's built for. Yes, it will be painful but it's an amazing womanly experience and if I get an epidural I will be missing out on a lot of it. I wasn't bothered by what she was saying because as of right now I still don't plan to have an epidural. That being said, once I am in the moment if I change my mind I won't be disappointed in myself and I certainly won't feel like less of a woman because I took advantage of the pain management options available to me. I just found it amazing to be having this conversation at all. I kept thinking thoughts like "Am I really talking about delivering my baby?" "Isn't it a little inappropriate to tell someone you literally met 2 minutes ago not to get an epidural?" & "I feel a little awkward having this conversation because I take a bit of time to open up to people and I feel like this is a personal topic..." But overall, it was a fun conversation to have.


I know women bond over their pregnancy/birth experiences and it is just unbelievable to me that I am now one of those women. A few months back I went to a wedding with Andino's niece (who is my age and a good friend). We were sitting at a table with a few other couples and somehow the conversation turned to pregnancy and delivery. At the time I was 6 weeks pregnant, but I didn't know yet. I certainly didn't have anything to add to the conversation so I was quiet, but I was not unhappy. I was excited to someday be part of the adoptive mama's club and to be able to share stories of the first time I saw the referral photo of my child and the first time I laid eyes on him or her in their orphanage. Both paths to becoming a Mama are equally amazing and exciting, I just can't believe how much has changed in the past 10 weeks... It reminds me of the quote:



Who knows what new and unexpected adventures are in store for us?


oh and p.s. I updated my bump photos too :)

22 comments:

  1. Love that bump! you look fab

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh you do have a bump !!!!! And what a nice bump it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! It swear it just appeared this week. I noticed it for the first time on Thursday! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you have a bump.. it does bring it to a whole new level of real-ness when it becomes evident like that. Soon you will feel the baby move, for me it happened somewhere around 17 weeks, but it felt like gas / hungry grumbling in my stomach, except it happened at moments when I was not hungry at all, and sitting still and quiet (like at night way after dinner). She still likes to move at those times...

    And wow, if someone whom I had just met had given me the "don't get an epidural, you will miss out on the mama-bear experience" lecture she would have heard me... and I would have enlightened her on a list of possible birth complications that happened (and happen) when women were left to their own devices, like say, during the 17th century or in rural countries without access to basic medical assistance... . I think it is so totally inappropriate to discuss something so personal. There are so many ways to manage pain, and no one should be made to feel less for what they choose. The most important thing is that *you* feel safe and comfortable, however that is, and of course that Mother and baby go out of the birth process healthy. This polarization irritates me so, so much, because there are as many experiences as women, and why should someone be judged for their choices, whatever they are. I just can't handle this... makes me so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad there are people like you who are outspoken enough to put the girlfriend in her place. I just like to avoid confrontation, so I hardly ever bother. But I agree with you - to each his own. Every birth experience is different and we shouldn't worry about other people's choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great!!!! Happy 10 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, just look at that bump! I love it. At my work Christmas party my friend coworker had a few drinks and that emboldened her to keep rubbing my belly like a good luck charm.... it was kind of weird! But good weird, haha.

    Oh the epidural debate. One thing I will say... from what I've seen with my sister, it does slow things down considerably, but it did make her a much happier person. So it took her maybe an extra 4-6 hours to actually push the baby out, but she was smiling the whole time.I'm on the fence. I want to be natural, but I want to be happy, not miserable, when the baby arrives. I'm leaning TOWARDS epidural...hey, nothing about this pregnancy has been natural so far, right? I don't know! I guess we have so time to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also noticed from your bump photos that you cut your hair too! I like it. Nice rack to go along with that bump. I'm enjoying this phase of having a party going on up top while no one downstairs is noticing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute bump! I had four people I barely knew touch my bump at my sister's birthday party in August- so when I was 5.5 months along. After that, no belly touching the rest of the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look fab! Isn't it crazy how people all of the sudden want to offer soooo much unsolicited advice? I am sure it is only going to get worse after the babies come! So glad you are enjoying the attention and lady bonding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We definitely have time to think about it and I think it's hard to say how we will feel until we are in the moment. As long as our babies arrive healthy that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the best phase of pregnancy!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought there would be more rubbing as the pregnancy progressed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I'm sure the advice has just begun! haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is adorable... you look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt exactly the way you did about being pregnant, it's so amazing, and such a surreal feeling! I also agree with you about the epidural, whatever happens, happens, but I would prefer a natural birth (but as you know I had a C-section). Most people try to be healthy during pregnancy, avoid drugs and chemicals in their food and life, and then are pumped with drugs during labour, it's just strange to me.
    By the way you and your cute bump look completely awesome! Can't wait to see more pics! Hope you have an awesome Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am going into it hoping to be all natural, but I understand that sometimes it's just not possible (like in your case). Merry Christmas and see you soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I, for one, am glad to read her advise as I am days sways from having no choice but to make a decision. I thought with twins, you always get an epidural, but I have learned that it not the case so now I have to decide! I'm thinking that decision will come in the heat of the moment. I'm scared. I do think it's weird she gave you such unsolicited advise the very first time you met her, but cool that she was so excited for you.

    Pretty soon you will be feeling that baby move, and then the pregnancy takes on a whole new spin of reality. You look fantastic as always!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs