Friday, 29 November 2013

Body Image

I've decided to start a page with my bump photos (up top). So far, there's really no bump, just a bit of a pooch and some extra thickness through the middle. I am definitely not complaining, but I am excited to get a real bump. I have been the same weight for about 10 years, so experiencing my body changing has been an interesting adjustment for me. For the first time, I am buying clothes to fit a different shape and adjusting my exercise routine.

The other day, Andino and I were in a maternity/baby consignment shop looking for some good deals. Andino spotted a box with a girdle. The box said something about shrinking your hips for use post-baby. His reaction? "Shrink your hips? Why would you want to do that?!" Needless to say, Andino has been complimenting the thicker version of Gypsy Mama almost every day which makes me feel so much more confident about my changing shape. I love this man...

I picked up a pair of maternity jeans and they are SO comfortable. I still wear my non-maternity pants regularly, but they are starting to get a bit tight. I bought a bella band and it's great! I still plan to buy a few more pairs of maternity pants/jeans when I get bigger, but for now it has been great to still be able to wear my normal clothes comfortably with the button undone and the band over top. I haven't purchased any maternity tops yet, I've just been wearing my regular tops, favouring the loosest ones. I don't want to go overboard buying maternity clothes since I won't get as much use out of them as my regular clothes. I'm holding off on getting much until it's necessary.

I've been doing prenatal exercise from the very beginning of this pregnancy. Since entering the second trimester I started to incorporate the treadmill again. I am not jogging, but walking at a medium pace on the highest incline. It feels good to be physically active and everything I've read about exercise during pregnancy says it's a good thing. I have been considering signing up for some prenatal yoga, but I'm not convinced it's for me. I haven't decided yet though, because I have heard nothing but great reviews about prenatal yoga so I might want to give it a try.

As for my diet, the dreaded heartburn has kicked in. I went for lunch yesterday with two of my colleagues to get shwarma at a local Lebanese restaurant. My favourite food EVER. I polished off the garlic sauce that came with it, and I was regretting it for the rest of the night. 4 tums later and I was still not feeling well. I didn't want to eat supper but I forced down a chicken caesar salad with garlic toast and some fruit and yogurt for dessert. I've had heartburn (if I eat something that triggers it) for about a week now, so I'm assuming it's here to stay for the duration of the pregnancy. Now I am going to have to avoid some of my favourite foods due to heartburn! According to Baby Centre, these are the most common foods that cause heartburn: chocolate; acidic foods like citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, mustard, and vinegar; processed meats; mint products; and spicy, highly seasoned, fried, or fatty foods. Who doesn't love spicy, highly seasoned fatty foods with chocolate for dessert?!

With the onset of pregnancy signs and symptoms it is starting to feel more real that I am actually going to have a baby in 6 months. Not that it didn't feel real before, but it wasn't on my mind as much as it is now because I basically looked and felt the same. As uncomfortable as heartburn and too-tight pants are, I am so happy to be progressing in my pregnancy.

9 comments:

  1. What a gem your husband is! It makes me smile that he doesn't understand why a woman would want to shrink her hips :) I have been so lucky not to have any heartburn at all in this pregnancy (knock on wood). I'm sorry you are having to tailor what you are eating. I'm with you, who doesn't like spicy high seasoned foods with chocolate for desert. Hmmm....I think I'm going to get some chocolate right now. Not kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reads like me 6-8 weeks or so ago. :) I love it. Tums helped me, and then I wanted to start eating them all the time, so I told my OB and he put me on something stronger after promising that it had no harmful effects and indicating concern over a slow start to the weight gain. He said he is much more worried about letting heartburn mess with my appetite than me taking heartburn medication. I didn't want to take anything at all during pregnancy, but the stats on preterm labor and lack of weight gain with twins don't lie. I gotta get THICK :)

    Love reading about you growing. It makes me feel so warm and happy inside. And I did get your email! We've been visiting family the past week and they have DIAL-UP INTERNET and no cell service. The horror!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the heartburn. I do not miss that. I avoided so many of my favorite foods because just thinking about them would give me heartburn. I started taking Zantac to prevent it because the tums just didn't do it a lot of the time. It helped for sure. I have been so happy to eat spicy and ethnic foods now that the heartburn is gone. Of course, now I have to limit it because the babies seem a little more fussy when I eat spicy foods. I guess they aren't fans just yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only had one night where the tums didn't work, I hope it doesn't happen often! That's so cute that you notice a difference with the babies when you eat spicy foods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having your body change is weird, in ways it's like going through puberty all over again. I have 2 maternity pants (1 jeans and 1 khaki) and for the rest I am using my normal clothes. But, I am not sure if I will be able to close my coat soon, and the coldest part of the winter is only coming... I don't really want to invest in a huge coat that I won't use later, so I have to figure that one out. For now I am using my tops (I have a lot of tunics or stretchy t-shirts), and sometimes, Mark's sweaters which are longer and slightly wider. The only thing I really splurged in is a maternity dress, that I plan on wearing on Christmas and maybe some other days but it really is for when the bump gets huge. A summer pregnancy would have been easier to dress as I think most of my summer clothes would have done the trick.
    I hope the heartburn symptoms settle,or that you will be able to somehow control it. It's funny because the things I crave (mostly citrus and orange juice) are kind of acid.
    I am so happy that your pregnancy is going well .

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are lucky not to have heartburn! It's no fun. I just love to eat and cook with lots of spices. I shouldn't complain though because so far my heartburn has been only mild.

    I hope you enjoyed your chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha no worries friend!

    I am glad you are not suffering from heartburn anymore. I can totally see how it would impact weight gain, especially in a twin pregnancy. I was a little concerned that I've only gained 4 pounds so far, but my OB didn't mention anything so I guess that means I am right on track!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only have 2 pairs of maternity pants too, and hoping to not have to get more. Maternity tops & dresses are more fun to buy! I've been wondering if I'll need to splurge on a winter coat. It gets FREEZING here, so there's definitely no option to leave it open. I'm sure it would be expensive too...

    A summer pregnancy would have been easier, but I am hoping to have my body back (to some extent) this summer. Wishful thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tums were my best friend- once Izzy came out with her full head of hair I knew why! Towards the end even a plain bagel kicked up the heartburn. I hope it doesn't get too bad for you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs